Taylor Swift Times Ten Million; Johnny Cash’s ‘Strawberry Cake’; The Wildes’ Murder Ballad
- Taylor Swift passed the 10 million mark for albums sold.
- Juli Thanki on James Hand‘s new album Shadow On the Ground:
Equal parts wry humor, frank honesty and gut-wrenching heartbreak, “Shadow on the Ground” is a reminder of how good country music can be, especially when it’s sung by a man who “always drinks, seldom thinks and never gives a damn.”
- In an effort to make a killer 2009 playlist, C.M. Wilcox wants you to name one excellent track from an album released this year.
- A Truer Sound posted files from Strawberry Cake, a rare Johnny Cash live album from 1976. It may not be better than his prison albums, but ATS argues that it is more interesting and highlights Cash at the top of his game as a performer.
- Guy Clark on songwriting:
“I try to write so the listener gets involved; ‘Yeah, that happened to me. I know exactly how that feels.’ Sometimes, you accommodate them with room to get inside it, leave holes to allow for it. That truth… they pick up on it.”
Country Standard Time has Clark’s tour itinerary for the next few months.
- Listen to three of the songs from Corb Lund‘s forthcoming album Losin’ Lately Gambler on MySpace. Look for “This Is My Prairie,” “A Game In Town Like This,” and “Talkin’ Veterinarian Blues.”
- Kellie Pickler on her next album:
“The more records you do, the more say you get. I’m really wanting the next album to be more country. I love Loretta Lynn. Dolly (Parton’s) my favorite. I love that style.”
- If you like a good murder ballad, No Depression member Wayne Williams recommends the title track from the Australian band The Wildes‘ new album, Ballad of a Young Married Man. In fact, he recommends the whole dang album. (MySpace)
- Twang Nation has mighty high praise for Chris Knight‘s Trailer Tapes II.
- Jamey Johnson treated the audience at the Daniel Boone Pioneer Festival this past weekend to a performance of “Near the Cross,” a song he sang at church as a kid.
- Willie And The Wheel is on sale at Amazon for $5 throughout the month of September.
- Loretta Lynn is famous for her classic singles with duet partner Conway Twitty, but it’s three albums worth of material she sang with Ernest Tubb that Juli Thanki says she prefers.
- Free Download: Grab a copy of “Santa Ana Wind” from Tom Russell‘s new album Blood and Candle Smoke and visit Russell’s blog to read the inspiration behind this particular song.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …