Thursday on the blog, Stephen published an interview with Maradith Sisco on the movie Winter’s Bone. Sisco was a consultant for the film’s music, both suggesting and recording music for its footage and soundtrack: Did you help choose the musicians for the shoot? They wanted to incorporate some local musicians they had heard play while [...]
Thursday on the blog, Stephen continued his Garth Brooks series – just a little off timeline. ‘Tis the season, of course, which warranted a look at Brooks’ country Christmas cheer: He’s a kid on Christmas morning who got just what he asked for: some really great songs to sing. His versions of old hymns like [...]
Thursday marked this year’s Thanksgiving holiday, a day traditionally full of turkey, football and Black Friday plotting. It’s also, of course, a day to give thanks for family, friends, health and freedom. And, as US Weekly likes to remind us, the stars are just like us. The Boot featured a full round-up of the things [...]
Yesterday’s review of LeAnn Rimes’ new single “Crazy Women,” an ode to infidelity and its Aquanet-induced consequences, sparked a debate on what role an artist’s personal life plays in a listener’s appreciation of his or her music. A commenter by the name of Damage Control Begins started things off by noting the similarities between the [...]
Out of all the hoopla surrounding Taylor Swift’s latest album Speak Now, an interesting article emerged that examined the record’s impact on the music industry. On NPR Music’s The Record, Jacob Ganz wrote about “Five Lessons The Recording Industry Can Take From Taylor Swift’s Massive Week.” The first point looked at where fans bought the [...]
Tuesday in his News Roundup, Brody included on item on an interesting CMA Awards duet between country’s Jason Aldean and American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson. GAC had more on the collaboration, which also appears on Aldean’s new album My Kinda Party: The new Jason Aldean album, My Kinda Party, is released today, and while the [...]
Tuesday on the blog, Stephen review Tim McGraw’s new single “Felt Good on My Lips.” In the opening paragraph, Stephen compared McGraw’s recent bout of ill-advised single choices to a certain baseball team: Over the last few years, Tim McGraw has become the New York Yankees of country music: well paid and certainly talented, but [...]
In Thursday’s News Roundup, Brody included a link to Jamey Johnson’s new music video for “Playing the Part.” The video is a pretty direct correlation to Johnson’s song, with a little help from a monkey suit, Mad Dog 20/20 and director (and friend) Matthew McConaughey. Even if video killed the radio star, music videos have [...]
On Monday, Pierce reviewed Marshall Chapman’s new book They Came to Nashville, which interviews country stars such as Miranda Lambert and Rodney Crowell about their journeys to Music City. The post sparked an interesting debate on the merit of reviews of songs, albums and, of course, books. Commenter Waynoe offered that he believes “we (some [...]
In a discussion that developed from Blake Boldt’s review of the new Kenny Chesney album Hemingway’s Whiskey, commenter Noeller brought up the term “generation-defining artist”: Because people are talking like KC has always sucked, which is patently untrue. His material prior to the No Shoes…. disc (and even some of the stuff on that album…) [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...