By now, there’s not a recording artist, country or otherwise, who hasn’t heard that we’re in a new era — fundamentally, a singles era. They’ve all heard how CD album chart leaders are topping those charts with lower sales figures than anyone can remember. And they’ve all heard horror stories (as have followers of The [...]
The Grascals are royalty on the bluegrass scene, having won SPBGMA’s Bluegrass Band of the Year award in 2010, the International Bluegrass Music Association’s Emerging Artist of the Year award in 2005 and earning its Entertainer of the Year honor in both 2006 and 2007. Danny Roberts began playing guitar to back up his fiddling [...]
Country music legend Charlie Louvin passed away early this morning at the age of 83. If you get a chance, check out his final recordings, released as a two-song project at the Country Music Hall of Fame. It contains “Alabama,” the first song ever recorded by The Louvin Brothers, and “Back When We Were Young,” [...]
John Rich Makes ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ Cast; The Steel Wheels Ask Fans For Help; Eric Brace/Peter Cooper Produce Tom T. Hall Tribute
It’s official: John Rich will be on the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice. Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran on Friday night’s George Strait/Reba McEntire/Lee Ann Womack show, which set a record for the Erwin Center: Though this seemed like a double headlined show on paper, Strait and his aptly named Ace In the Hole Band, [...]
One of the best elements of a Grascals album is their choice in covers, which have included their own versions of songs made famous by Jennings, Jones, and Haggard–just to name a few. The sextet’s blend of bluegrass and classic country makes them one of the most entertaining, most consistent bands in roots music. The [...]
As Chris Neal pointed out in his thoughtful “C Word” post on this site earlier this month, arguments over what’s country and what isn’t, how modern and pop or traditional-sounding the music ought to be, how ass-kicking or dignified, are all never-ending. Anybody who’s been following some of the recent spirited discussions (and occasional over-the-top [...]
Garth Brooks Sells Out Nine Shows; CMA Entertainer Category Causes Confusion; Stream New Bruce Robison/Kelly Willis Song
When tickets for Garth Brooks flood benefit concert went on sale Saturday, they went quick. So quick, in fact, that show after show was added until virtually nine shows were sold out in three hours, raising more than $3.5 million. The presence of Miranda Lambert, Lady Antebellum, and Zac Brown Band in the CMA Awards [...]
Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown Band to Co-Headline New Tour; Garth Brooks Info: How to Avoid the “Late Line”
Kenny Chesney and the Zac Brown Band will co-headline nine stadium dates next year. Tickets for Garth Brook‘s Nashville show go on sale Saturday morning, but there’s a list of requirements that need to be followed in order to avoid banishment to the “late line.” GAC has the details. Jewly Hight’s cover story for Nashville [...]
Photo courtesy of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum I was privileged to be on hand in August for all three of Buddy Miller’s Artist-in-Residence shows at the Country Music Hall of Fame’s Ford Theater, the first of which marked the theater’s reopening after its repair from damage in May’s Nashville flooding. These [...]
Craig Shelburne recapped Buddy Miller‘s artist-in-residence gig at the Country Music Hall of Fame on Tuesday, which featured special guests Tom T. Hall, Emmylou Harris, and the McCrary Sisters. With the song’s composer sitting in the front row, just a few steps away, Miller nervously introduced Tom T. Hall’s “That’s How I Got to Memphis.” [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...