As one-half of the famed rock-pop duo Hall & Oates, John Oates has sold millions of records, toured around the world, won numerous awards and is a member of the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame. Despite all the accolades, however, not many people are aware of his background and the music that inspired him to become [...]
How time flies! It’s already 5 days into the New Year, but that won’t stop us from letting you know what we thought were the best albums of 2010. We all wondered whether Jamey Johnson could follow up on a potentially career-defining album and how Dierks Bentley’s ‘bluegrass’ project would pan out–sales-wise and from a [...]
2010 has been an excellent year for bluegrass music. Whether your taste in bluegrass is traditional, progressive, or somewhere in between, you probably ended the year with an extensive playlist of new favorites. Here are our favorite bluegrass albums of the past year. Stylistically, these records are all over the spectrum. There are the usual [...]
Lady Anteblleum Leads Country Artists In Grammy Nods; Alan Jackson Fulfills Contract; Todd Snider Schedules Live Collection
As far as country artists go, Lady Antebellum came out on top during last night’s announcement of the Grammy nominees, scoring several nominations in all-genre categories. A diverse range of artists and entertainers represented the country genre though, including Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert, Jamey Johnson, Dailey & Vincent, Marty Stuart & Connie Smith, The [...]
It was supposed to be a simple, fun band that would get together every week and pick a few bluegrass chestnuts. Along the way though, The SteelDrivers found a distinctive sound, landed a record deal and released a stunning debut album that garnered them a loyal following and multiple award nominations. The band’s second album, [...]
Lead Singer Leaves Cadillac Sky; New Releases; Dierks Bentley Raises $250,000; Track-by-Track Taylor Swift Breakdown
Cadillac Sky lead singer and mandolin player Bryan Simpson announced his departure from the band, but promises that his replacement is extremely gifted and will not disappoint. Several stars plan to get together the day after the CMA Awards to record a Christmas special for ABC. Listen to The SteelDrivers with new lead singer Gary [...]
Second Round of CMA Awards Performers Announced; Oct. 5th New Releases; Blake Shelton Preps Hits Album
Hosts Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood were announced as performers for the Nov. 10th CMA Awards. Rounding out the list in this second announcement of performers were Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, Reba McEntire, Sugarland, and George Strait. After six years and four albums together, The Grascals and Rounder split ways. If you watched the new [...]
Jamey Johnson Debuts On Top; Justin Townes Earle Enters Rehab; It’s A Top 15 Game; Free Marty Stuart
Jamey Johnson‘s The Guitar Song debuted at the top of Billboard‘s Top Country Albums chart with nearly 63,000 copies sold. Multi-instrumentalist and songwriter Mike Henderson on writing for The SteelDrivers: There’s so much freedom in writing for this band, and we don’t have to have the slightest bit of worry about country radio, so the [...]
Among the mix of new, fresh-faced and extremely talented bluegrass groups that have popped up in recent years, The SteelDrivers are a bit of an anomaly. Consisting of music veterans from the country and bluegrass scene with lead vocals more reminiscent of a Southern rock screamer, the band’s debut album made quite a splash, earning [...]
NPR/Folk Alley to Stream AMA Awards Live; Why Albums Are Released On Tuesday; 10 Worthy Indie Albums
Folk Alley and NPR Music will webcast the AMA Honors & Award Show live tonight at 7:30 PM EST. Barry Mazor interviewed Jamey Johnson for The Wall Street Journal and calls his double-album The Guitar Song a new country masterpiece: “The traditional country music—or as it’s commonly called in my house, ‘music’—that’s where you learned [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...