Whitney Duncan didn’t say “I want to be a country music singer” with her very first words, but she might as well have. With a passion that belied her age, Whitney sang at school events, including multiple elementary and middle school graduations as well as finished as a medalist at a talent competition at Loretta [...]
John Rich and his wife are expecting their first baby. Brad Paisley signed on to create and co-produce a new drama on the CW Network about “an aspiring young female singer destined for stardom and a male songwriter whose career isn’t as certain.” The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri reviewed recent albums from Guy Clark and [...]
Despite the endlessly repeated backstory, Rosanne Cash’s new album has little to do with her father and his influence on her tastes and career, at least not beyond suggesting the tracklist. Rather, The List plays like a tribute to the durability of country songwriting and its impact over the decades. Despite the genre’s lowly reputation [...]
Bill Anderson plans to have a new album released before the end of the year. Craig Bickhardt wonders where the real people are in today’s country songs: The rule of thumb in Nashville is: make her crude, make him dirty, put them in a truck (with a six pack sometimes), and it’s a country song. [...]
Here are some more songs that I like; one song per artist, not necessarily his or her biggest hit. As always, I consider myself free to comment on other songs by the artist. “Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song” – Billy Joe “B.J.” Thomas (1975) His biggest country hit reached #1 and also topped the [...]
Tanya Tucker recently released an album of covers that she credits her father for introducing to her and in October, Rosanne Cash will release a new album, The List, consisting of songs from a list that her father gave her. But before Cash’s album, there will be yet another album released credited to the influence [...]
When Tanya Tucker convincingly declares “I don’t let no man tie me down” on her new covers album My Turn, it is both a jaunty take on Merle Haggard’s “Ramblin’ Fever” and a summation of the record’s successful premise: Even while tackling some of country music’s most legendary male artists’ highly regarded songs, Tucker doesn’t [...]
Asleep At The Wheel Wins Lifetime Achievement Award; Is Merle Haggard Greatest Living American Songwriter?
Asleep at the Wheel will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award for Performance at the Americana Awards in Nashville on Sept. 17. LeAnn Rimes left the audience confused last Thursday when she took an intermission after just two songs — “Crazy” and “Blue.” Despite the confusion, The Washington Post‘s Dave McKenna says Rimes hit notes for [...]
BMI will honor Kris Kristofferson as a music icon during its awards show in November. New releases for the week of June 30, 2009 include: Brad Paisley – American Saturday Night Amazon | iTunes [Bonus: "Then (Single Edit)"] | MySpace Brandon Rickman – Young Man, Old Soul Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Cledus T. Judd [...]
Listen to Sara Evans‘ new single “Feels Just Like a Love Song.” ( MySpace | iLike ) Saguaro Road Records is giving away a free download of Tanya Tucker‘s “Love’s Gonna Live Here” on Amazon. The track is from her upcoming album My Turn, which can be streamed in its entirety on CMT before its [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...