Lullabies have been sung in many languages and music genres going all the way back to 1072, when they were first mentioned by a Turkish writer. And while most people immediately think of a loving and mellow tune sung to bring comfort and sleep to countless babies, country artists haven’t always been so light-hearted in […]
Billy Joe Shaver is recovering from minor heart surgery and is expected to resume performing in August. Even with pancreatic cancer Charlie Louvin maintains his optimism and seems as vital as ever. Funny or Die, the comedy website co-founded by Will Ferrell, posted a new video featuring Jewel in disguise performing at a karaoke bar. […]
Steve Martin’s Leaked Tour Rider; Dale Watson, Trace Adkins, Little Big Town, & Sugarland Schedule New Albums
A few details from Steve Martin‘s leaked tour rider: Wardrobe: Nothing constricting or scratchy, except for Steve’s thong. Venue must have Bela Fleck on speed dial, in case Steve’s feeling lazy. Golf cart(s) must be available to transport Steve and the Steep Canyon Rangers from dressing room area to the stage. If distance is less […]
And now let’s get things started Why don’t you get things started It’s time to get things started On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational This is what we call the Muppet Show! Don’t deny it. You were singing along just now… Kermit taught us that it’s not easy being green. Or in Gonzo’s case, […]
Today I guest write on Juli Thanki’s Friday Five not because she’s on vacation–mentally nor physically–but because we wanted to pay tribute to one particular little part of her that we adore. For those that have gotten the privilege to know her, Juli has a wonderful and twisted sense of humor, and nowhere is that […]
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on the website 2steppin.com, and has been reprinted here with permission. This comprehensive look at race relations in country music was written prior to the rise of Darius Rucker as a hitmaker. The 9513 would love to hear your comments about race in country music today, and about […]
Acuff, Rogers & Evans, and Monroe Head to Grammy Hall of Fame; Unfinished Hank Williams Song Finally Released
The Recording Academy inducted 25 songs into the Grammy Hall of Fame yesterday. Songs in the country category are: Roy Acuff & The Crazy Tennesseans – “Great Speckled Bird” (Amazon) Roy Rogers & Dale Evans – “Happy Trails” (Amazon) Bill Monroe And His Blue Grass Boys – “Mule Skinner Blues” (Amazon) On the surface, Rosanne […]
Christie’s Country Sale; Taylor Swift Inks Deal to Write Greeting Cards; New Music Magazine Launches in January
On December 3, Christie’s will hold The Country Music Sale, its first sale dedicated to the creation, history, and evolution of Country Music. The foundation of the sale consists of property from the estate of Hank Thompson, but also includes memorabilia from Roy Rogers, Hank Snow, Hank Williams, and many more classic country artists. There […]
Thankfulness in country music can often be sarcastic, as in “Thanks A Lot,” or humorous, like “Thank God and Greyhound.” But with this month’s playlist we’re going to be serious, and check out some songs on which artists count their various blessings. 20. “Thank God For The Road” – The Flatlanders “When you’re trying to […]
How ’bout those CMT Awards? Calvin Gilbert has a straightforward recap of the evening. Brad Paisley won three awards, Taylor Swift rapped with T-Pain (are they releasing a crunktry album together?) and won two of her own awards. During an acceptance speech she thanked CMT for allowing her to sing with her heroes, Def Leppard. […]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …