Ignore the artwork and poor online presence for a second and listen. “Black Water” “Clinch Mountain Hills” (a tribute to the Stanley Brothers) “I hear Carter Stanley & Larry Sparks influences here. There’s also an unmistakable Jamey Johnson, Waylon-esque quality to this stuff, and I believe either of those titans would have been right at [...]
2010 has been an excellent year for bluegrass music. Whether your taste in bluegrass is traditional, progressive, or somewhere in between, you probably ended the year with an extensive playlist of new favorites. Here are our favorite bluegrass albums of the past year. Stylistically, these records are all over the spectrum. There are the usual [...]
Love and Theft Drops to Duo Status; Billboard Adds Social 50 Chart; Edgar Loudermilk Releases Duet with Rhonda Vincent
From three to two, Love and Theft loses a member. Trace Adkins on John Rich‘s Celebrity Apprentice appearance: “After that first season, they came to me and said, ‘Who in country music should we go after?’ He was the first name that I told ‘em. I said, ‘You gotta get John Rich.’ He’s like a [...]
At last night’s annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, Dailey & Vincent triumphed — again, maintaining their hold on the entertainer of the year and top vocal group categories for the third year in a row. The duo also notched wins for album of the year for their tribute project Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler [...]
Nominees for the 21st annual International Bluegrass Music Awards were announced this morning and once again, Dailey & Vincent top the list with 10 nominations. Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out follow with six nods and right on their heels are Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Sam Bush, and The Grascals with five apiece. The full [...]
Imagine giving Jewel some meaningful songs to sing, surrounding her with some of Nashville’s best acoustic musicians and then letting her cut loose on a bluegrass tangent. That just might be comparable to Becky Schlegel’s terrific new album Dandelion. Schlegel’s voice flitters and floats like a dandelion on a breeze. Her vocals can hush to [...]
George Hamilton IV Celebrates 50th Opry Anniversary; Cactus Cafe Still Closing; Carrie Underwood’s “Temporary Home”
Saturday marks George Hamilton IV‘s 50th anniversary as a Grand Ole Opry member. Despite strong opposition, University of Texas officials have no plans to back down from their original decision to close the Cactus Cafe. Long-time manager Griff Luneberg broke his silence on the issue yesterday morning: “As a loyal Texas Union Employee for the [...]
The town of Helotes, Texas voted to amend the name of one of its oldest drags. The street in question, Old Bandera Way, is remaining Old Bandera Way, but also taking on the name Willie Nelson Way. And in other street news, Patsy Cline won’t be having her own way, or boulevard, anytime soon. A [...]
Vince Gill’s ‘Love Songs’ Due In Time For Valentine’s; The Infamous Stringdusters w/Sarah Siskind; Bonnie Bishop at Steamboat
Vince Gill is scheduled to release an album of love songs on Jan. 26, just in time for Valentine’s. I get the feeling Bob Lesetz isn’t a Carrie Underwood fan: Carrie Underwood’s not a star, she’s commerce. [...] Too much of what passes for country music today is fodder made for a market. Carrie Underwood [...]
Dixie Chicks‘ Martie Maguire and Emily Robison will be releasing a new album without Natalie Maines, however a title, release date, and musical direction are all still unknown. Reba McEntire is returning as the host of this year’s ACM Awards, which are scheduled for April 18. On the following night, the Academy plans to tape [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...