Due to threats of a high surf from Tropical Storm Alex, Jimmy Buffet had to postpone today’s free concert on the beach at Gulf Shores in Alabama. A new date has been set for July 11, but local businesses were hoping the show would boost visitors for the Fourth of July weekend. Hundreds of lucky […]
This article will focus on some more artists who either had a very short period of great success or had an extended run of near-success. The McCarters blazed brightly across the sky in 1988 and ’89. Comprised of lead singer Jennifer and her twin sisters Lisa and Teresa, this trio hearkened back to an older […]
There was a ton of country music released in February, a great deal of which never found its way onto the pages of The 9513. Here are abbreviated album reviews of last month’s under-the-radar music. Lightning From The North – .357 String Band The third release from this scrappy Milwaukee quartet is bursting at the […]
Wear black today for Johnny Cash, who was born this day 78 years ago. Also up on today’s birthday list are Trailer from Farce the Music and The 9513 favorite, Rodney Hayden. Happy birthday, guys. Fan voting for the ACM’s new artist awards is now open. iTunes sold its 10 billionth song, which happened to […]
Hopefully you’ve all escaped the various snowstorms of the past couple weeks unscathed. Here’s a Friday Five guaranteed to lift your spirits: songs about freezing to death. Don’t worry, folks; spring is just around the corner. (Thanks to Ken Morton, Jr. for the idea.) 5. “Crawl Through Snow” – O’Death These Gothic Country Brooklynites are […]
Vince Gill is officially a “full-fledged” Time Jumper. He can be seen playing with the band on Monday nights at the Station Inn when he’s not touring. New releases for the week of February 9, 2010 include: Allison Moorer – Crows Amazon | iTunes (Deluxe Version) | MySpace The Chapmans – Grown Up (A Revisionist […]
Bobby Braddock, the only living songwriter to have No. 1 country songs in five consecutive decades, commented on the changing landscape of country music in an interview with American Songwriter‘s Michael Kosser: For instance, the song protagonist of, say, the early 1950s is totally different from the one in 2009. For one thing, southerners as […]
Charlie Daniels Suffered Mild Stroke While Snowmobiling; Halfway To Hazard Cancels Concerts; Alan Jackson’s Beard
Charlie Daniels suffered a mild stroke while snowmobiling in Colorado last Friday. Fortunately, he’s reported to be doing well and will not have to cancel any concert dates. Meanwhile, Halfway to Hazard postponed all concerts and appearances indefinitely while one-half of the duo, David Tolliver, deals with personal issues. New releases for the week of […]
Grammy Nominees; Jack Cooke & Big Bill Lister Passed Away; Dixie Chick Lawsuit Dropped; CMA CEO Resigns
Nominees for the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards in the country category are as follows: Best Female Country Vocal Performance “Dead Flowers” – Miranda Lambert “I Just Call You Mine” – Martina McBride “White Horse” – Taylor Swift “Just A Dream” – Carrie Underwood “Solitary Thinkin” – Lee Ann Womack Best Male Country Vocal Performance “All […]
Michael Martin Murphey signed a multi-album contract with Rural Rhythm Records during last week’s IBMA convention and will release his second set of bluegrass tunes, Buckaroo Blue Grass 2, next February. The first single is a remake of “Wildfire” as a duet with Carrie Hassler.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …