“Oh Cumberland” opens more than a thousand miles from the river and region that lend the song its title. “Fire on the asphalt, L.A. freeway,” Matraca Berg sings ominously on the first verse. “Santa Ana windstorm, come blow me away.” That’s not an especially enticing depiction of southern California, which comes across almost literally like [...]
Matraca Berg Schedules First Album in 14 Years; New Album Release List; Zac Brown Band Releases New Video
On May 17, Matraca Berg will release The Dreaming Fields, her first album in 14 years. (via press release) With The Dreaming Fields, she not only evokes the seminal records she was raised on, she fearlessly looks towards life and tragic resolution of a battered woman (“If I Had Wings”), the devastating beauty fading into [...]
Del McCoury Band Teams Up with Preservation Hall Jazz Band; Pickup Lines In Country Music; Ralph Stanley Video Liner
The Del McCoury Band is teaming up with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band for a new album and tour. (via @jonweisberger) NashvilleGab highlighted a comment made by entertainment reporter Jimmy Carter about all of Miranda Lambert‘s nominations: Entertainment reporter, Jimmy Carter tells WKKT that an inside source told him that Miranda Lambert got 7 noms [...]
Four-time CMA Entertainer of the Year Kenny Chesney won’t compete for the coveted honor when the awards are handed out on November 10. In the last year, he’s taken a sabbatical from touring, effectively surrendering his title as the industry’s torchbearer. According to Chesney, his hiatus has given him a fresh perspective in terms of [...]
Taylor Swift & Kris Kristofferson Swap Songs/Compliments; Jerry Lee Lewis’ Duet Album Wasn’t Supposed To Be
Writing for the L.A. Times’ music blog Pop & Hiss, Randy Lewis recapped last Thursday’s All for the Hall benefit with Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris, Vince Gill, Taylor Swift, and Lionel Richie. Chris Willman wrote about the song swap for CMT. Zac Brown Band elicits strong feelings in The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards. But Brown [...]
Longtime friends Gretchen Peters, Suzy Bogguss and Matraca Berg are talented artists and songwriters in their own right, and a chance to see any of them in a solo concert is well worth it. Together, the trio has made several successful tours, primarily in the UK, billed as a night of “Wine, Women and Song.” [...]
Gene Watson, Randy Travis, Pam Tillis, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and Ray Price have all long been cast aside by country radio, but each of these incredible artists continued to produce great country music into the first decade of the 21st century…and each earned a place approaching the upper reaches of our countdown. Mixed in [...]
Country music newcomer Ashley Monroe hasn’t even had a CD released yet, but that doesn’t stop her from appearing on our countdown of the decade’s best albums; Monroe’s 2006 digital-only release ranks alongside the debut efforts from left-of-center mainstreamers Miranda Lambert and Zac Brown Band, while just plain “left” singer/songwriter Todd Snider lands his most [...]
Pop & Hiss’ Ann Powers on Taylor Swift‘s opening performance: Swift started things out with a version of “Forever and Always” that was glitzy and high-concept — and off-tune, a consistent characteristic of Swift’s live outings that gave the lie to her one undeserved triumph, for best female vocalist. The prize should have gone to [...]
Depending on your point of view, the Country Music Association may be the organization responsible for broadening the reach of country music and its artists throughout the nation and around the world, the organization responsible for transforming the genre into a musically homogeneous mass-market commodity, or both. Either way, there’s no denying that both the [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...