Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for […]
Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert Engaged; Songwriters Hall Awards Taylor Swift; Marty Stuart Inspired by Tradition
It was posted in the comments yesterday (and seemingly everywhere else) that Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert are engaged. And for the curious, Jimmy Carter posted a picture of the ring. Taylor Swift will receive the Hal David Starlight Award at the Songwriters Hall of Fame Awards on June 17. The Tennessean posted video of […]
CMT Music Award Nominees Revealed; Elizabeth Cook & Jim Lauderdale Among New Releases; John Rich’s Free Download
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 CMT Music Award nominees. New releases for the week of May 11, 2010 include: Elizabeth Cook – Welder Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Jim Lauderdale – Patchwork River Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Jonathan Singleton & The Grove – Jonathan Singleton & The Grove Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Kris […]
Mary Chapin Carpenter was a major country music star in the 1990s, due more to record label maneuvering than the music she made. Her hits were memorable and firmly in possession of her distinct point of view, but, truth be told, she was an unrepentant folkie feminist with an Ivy League education who slipped onto […]
Five-time GRAMMY Award-winning singer-songwriter Mary Chapin Carpenter spent most of the 90s as country radio’s renaissance woman. With clever social commentary such as “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” and “I Take My Chances,” the Ivy League graduate (Brown University, 1981) was a leading inspiration for women in the midst of midlife domestic dramas. Twice named […]
The fourth track on Chely Wright’s exceptional new album, Lifted off the Ground, is a wry elegy titled “Notes To The Coroner,” sung from the perspective of a woman who’s recently expired. It begins with a half-assed apology to those she’s left behind: “I hope I haven’t been lyin’ here long,” she sings, “I’d say […]
Mumford & Sons Plans Bluegrass EP; Dolly Parton, Trace Adkins, and Mark Chesnutt Schedule New Albums
The four-man British band Mumford & Sons is planning to release an EP of bluegrass songs later this year. In an interview with CMT Insider, Sugarland‘s Kristian Bush and Jennifer Nettles talked a little more about their new album. Listen to “Last Train to Rome” and “More Wishes Than Dimes,” the latest songs available for […]
Two Auburn University students, Ryan Leander and Michael Wekall, created a website in January for the sole purpose of soliciting a hug from Taylor Swift, which they collected on Monday when Swift surprised them with a free mini-concert. New releases for the week of April 27, 2010 include: Jo Dee Messina – Unmistakable Love Amazon […]
Trace Adkins Wants Him Some Real Joy; Nashville Paves Way For Patsy Cline Boulevard; ‘Ain’t No Grave’ for Johnny Cash
Yesterday afternoon Toby Keith announced Trace Adkins as the first artist signed to Show Dog-Universal Music. All it took to lure the big man from Capitol Records, his home for 15 years, was a smile: Adkins said he watched Keith on stage when the two toured together last year and saw something he “longed for.” […]
Robert Earl Keen will release The Rose Hotel, his Lost Highway debut and first album since 2005, on Sept. 29. Buddy Jewell is the first artist signed to the new label ALL Entertainment, and should have a new single next month. NPR has an interview with Loudon Wainwright III and song selections from his newest […]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …