BMI Names Taylor Swift Songwriter of the Year, Bill Sherrill Icon; Catherine Britt’s Video for “Sweet Emmylou”
Twenty-year-old Taylor Swift became the youngest songwriter of the year award winner at last night’s BMI Awards. She also became the first songwriter to win song of the year three years in a row; this year’s win was for her co-write with Liz Rose on “You Belong With Me.” In addition to his benefit concerts [...]
Actress Jane Seymour believes her 14-year-old son Johnny is channeling the spirit of his godfather, Johnny Cash. UPDATE (11:38 am): Sugarland’s The Incredible Machine topped the Billboard 200 albums chart this week with 203,000 copies sold. Back in 1981, Johnny Cash and Ray Charles recorded a duet on the Kris Kristofferson song “Why Me Lord,” [...]
Kellie Pickler Announces Engagement; Loretta Lynn & Willie Nelson Recordings Enter Library of Congress
Kellie Pickler and songwriter Kyle Jacobs announced their engagement. Jacobs popped the question on June 15, the birthday of Pickler’s late grandmother. The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica recapped Tuesday night’s four-hour concert, “Nashville Rising: A Benefit for Flood Recovery,” which was hosted by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. There was even a surprise appearance [...]
Down in the low-country, along the banks of the slow-moving Mississippi River, water seeps through deltas and backwoods bayous, forever changing the landscape with everything it touches. But it carries more than water on its journey down that famed path. It carries a history, stories, cultures and, perhaps as strongly as any of these, a [...]
The People Choose Carrie Underwood; Nashville Scene Publishes Critics’ Poll; Music Fog Covers MusicFest
Last night’s People’s Choice Award winners included: Carrie Underwood for favorite country artist, Taylor Swift for favorite female artist, and Keith Urban for favorite male artist. The Infamous Stringdusters have a busy year scheduled, starting with a Wednesday night residency at the Station Inn throughout January. The group’s new album Things That Fly is slated [...]
Grammy Nominees; Jack Cooke & Big Bill Lister Passed Away; Dixie Chick Lawsuit Dropped; CMA CEO Resigns
Nominees for the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards in the country category are as follows: Best Female Country Vocal Performance “Dead Flowers” – Miranda Lambert “I Just Call You Mine” – Martina McBride “White Horse” – Taylor Swift “Just A Dream” – Carrie Underwood “Solitary Thinkin” – Lee Ann Womack Best Male Country Vocal Performance “All [...]
2009 CMA Awards Ratings Surpass 2008, But Not 1978; R.I.P. Country Music (1927-2009); Revisit 1981 With Haggard
The 43rd Annual CMA Awards was the most watched show in four years, logging an average of 16.85 million viewers, a number that is distorted by consumers who record the show to watch on their own time. The record for the CMA Awards is 36 millions viewers, set in 1978, when Dolly Parton was crowned [...]
Taylor Swift Hosts ‘SNL’; Dolly Parton & Jessica Simpson Have Big Breasts; Kristofferson Receives Inaugural Stephen Bruton Award
Watch the promo for this week’s Saturday Night Live, hosted by Taylor Swift. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox reviewed the new album from Derek Hoke, Goodbye Rock N Roll, and maintained that Hoke has released one of the finest country debuts of 2009. (MySpace) His gentle, unpretentious brand of throwback country often seems just a hiccup [...]
The Little Nashville Opry in Nashville, Indiana burned down over the weekend. In celebration of the fall return of “Opry Country Classics,” Opry.com asked a few country artists to name their favorite country classics. (via Country Music Tattle Tale) At least one country music DJ is upset that his station received a prerecorded interview with [...]
Buddy and Julie Miller Big Winners at Americana Awards; Capitol Records Shuts Down Ronnie Milsap Single
Peter Cooper recapped last night’s Americana Awards where Buddy and Julie Miller were the big winners for their collaboration on the album Written In Chalk. If you’re not already, let this be your reminder to follow us on Twitter where Pierce is giving a play-by-play account of his experience at the Americana Music Festival. Here [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...