The song “Lost Highway” has a very special place in Hank Williams’ canon. Recorded shortly before his death in 1953, it remains one of his best and most worried songs, a bleak evocation of dark sin and bright redemption rendered in plainspoken poetry. That Williams died in the backseat of his car only makes the [...]
Lucinda Williams, one of the great American artists of her time, finally seems willing to be consoled. On her eighth studio album, Blessed, she devotes her energy to getting all the anger out of her system. The result is a milestone in an already matchless repertoire. Working with Don Was and Little Honey producer Eric [...]
New releases for the week of March 1, 2011 include: Aaron Lewis – Town Line Amazon ($5.00) | iTunes Bart Crow Band – Brewster Street Live Amazon | iTunes Buddy Miller – The Majestic Silver Strings Amazon ($6.99) | iTunes Jewly Hight – Right By Her Roots (Book) Amazon Lucinda Williams – Blessed Amazon | [...]
With his fourth album, Mission Bell, folk-pop singer-songwriter Amos Lee has been propelled into the national consciousness. The album, defined by his raspy, soulful voice, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 earlier this month. It was an impressive feat for an artist who until this year hadn’t shed the journeyman tag despite his [...]
Jamey Johnson Celebrates Gold; Forthcoming Country Music Book Releases; Miranda Moves Billy Bob’s Crowd
Jamey Johnson celebrated the success of The Guitar Song, which was certified Gold, on Friday. The Star-Telegram’s Preston Jones ranks Miranda Lambert‘s performance of “The House That Built Me” at Billy Bob’s Texas on Friday night as one of the most moving concert moments he’s experienced. As she spoke about growing up in small-town Texas, [...]
CMA Fest Announces Performers; Shaver & Nelson Release “Wacko From Waco” Duet; Gretchen Wilson’s Favorite Grammy Winners
The first round of announced performers for the CMA Music Festival includes Trace Adkins, Jason Aldean, The Band Perry, Sheryl Crow, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts, Reba, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton and Keith Urban. “On the Banks of the Ohio” illustrated. (via Fresh Signals) Northwest native Rachel Harrington plans to release her [...]
Trailer Choir Downgrades; Carrie Rodriguez Releases Country Duets Project; Amos Lee Tops Album Chart
From trio to duo: Crystal Hoyt is leaving Trailer Choir to pursue other interests. In my haste yesterday, I forgot to mention the release of Carrie Rodriguez‘ country duet record with Ben Kyle, We Still Love Our Country. Stream the songs on her website and if you like what you hear, choose a download price [...]
Watch Lyle Lovett on ‘Austin City Limits’ Tomorrow; Remembering Charlie Louvin; New Site Helps Indie Bluegrass Bands
Ed Crowell covered the taping of the last Austin City Limits show at Studio 6A for the Austin American-Statesman. It will air on Saturday. Alison Krauss, who has a new album titled Paper Airplanes scheduled for an April release, on whether she listens to the melody or lyrics first when choosing new songs: Lyrics, usually. [...]
You can take the girl out of Butcher Holler, but you can’t take Butcher Holler out of the girl. Even during Nashville’s glitziest period, Loretta Lynn was both part of that glamour and apart from it: a country girl living not so comfortably in the city. All those frilly, rhinestone-studded dresses never could cover up [...]
Eddie Montgomery broke the news that he’s getting a divorce via Twitter this morning. The comments have since been deleted, but not before Country Music Is Love was able to report the news. “U find out u got cancer then u found out ur wife can’t handle that so she seek of and files for [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...