If you want to start a heated discussion among a bunch of devoted country music fans or music makers, no matter what stripe, style, or era of country music they call their own, bring up the question of today’s mainstream country radio. You’re certain to hear some railing from somebody about a longstanding set of [...]
“It is as though instead of a dog wagging its tail, the tail should wag the dog. And all Nature would stand aghast before such an improper spectacle.” – Elizabeth von Arnim, 1907 An award show offers an invaluable opportunity for the great entertainers of our day to be celebrated by their peers, and for [...]
Willie Nelson to Appear on Next Snoop Dogg Album; The Civil Wars Perform for Paste; Grammy Performances Boost Sales
Snoop Dogg‘s next album finds him collaborating with Willie Nelson: The album’s most left-of-center track is the playful “Superman.” Accompanied by guitar and harmonica, Snoop and Willie Nelson trade riffs on living life with the hands they’ve been dealt and realizing, “I’m not Superman.” The idea to work together took shape when the two artists [...]
On Monday, Brody included a roundup of country music’s Grammy winners, ranging from Diamond Rio and Patty Loveless to Patty Griffin and Marty Stuart. It was the winner for Country Album of the Year, however, that surprised many country music fans: The award, which included nominees Jamey Johnson, Miranda Lambert, Dierks Bentley, Lady Antebellum and [...]
Dave Alvin Scores TV Gig; Randy Traywick’s (Travis) Publicity Photo; The Grascals Find Success with Cracker Barrel
Davin Alvin will make a guest appearance in, and wrote a new song for, the second season of the FX channel’s crime-drama series Justified. My pal Kelly Dearmore digs the new Hayes Carll record, KMAG YOYO (& Other American Stories), even if it doesn’t exactly make him forget about its predecessor. [...] this is the [...]
Miranda Lambert joined the company of Pat Green and Willie Nelson as the only artists to ever sellout back-to-back nights at Billy Bob’s Texas — another sign in a long list that illustrates her arrival. The scary part, says DFW’s Preston Jones, is she’s just getting warmed up. Dallas Observer’s Dave Herrera echoes those sentiments. [...]
There have always been some who see country music and jazz as opposite ends of the American music spectrum—one down home, emotionally straightforward and inclined towards the well-understood and safe; the other urban, sophisticated, even intellectual, and born to go off on unfettered, exploratory tangents. You could, of course, hear that opposition expressed by fans [...]
Lady Antebellum Leads Grammy Winners; Brandon Rhyder Covers Don Williams; The Infamous Stringdusters Live Session
With five wins, Lady Antebellum came out on top at last night’s Grammys. Other winners in the countryish categories included: Diamond Rio (southern, country or bluegrass gospel album), Patty Griffin (traditional gospel album), Patty Loveless (bluegrass album), Keith Urban (best male country vocal performance), Zac Brown Band/Alan Jackson (country collaboration with vocals), Marty Stuart (country [...]
CMA Fest Announces Performers; Shaver & Nelson Release “Wacko From Waco” Duet; Gretchen Wilson’s Favorite Grammy Winners
The first round of announced performers for the CMA Music Festival includes Trace Adkins, Jason Aldean, The Band Perry, Sheryl Crow, Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts, Reba, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton and Keith Urban. “On the Banks of the Ohio” illustrated. (via Fresh Signals) Northwest native Rachel Harrington plans to release her [...]
The Peasall Sisters are parting ways. The Recording Academy’s first round of confirmed performers for the Grammy Awards includes Miranda Lambert. For this week’s Nashville Skyline, Chet Flippo reviewed the new Rodney Crowell memoir, Chinaberry Sidewalks. Kelly Dearmore published a brief Q&A with Jack Ingram. Dale Watson on his penchant for drinking songs: “I only [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...