Alan Jackson Splits with Longtime Label; Bloodshot Signs Lydia Loveless; The Steep Canyon Rangers Celebrate 10 Years
After 22 years together, Alan Jackson and Arista Nashville are parting ways. As for a future label home, Jackson’s manager says there’s currently three options that look really good, but doesn’t mention what they are. Our Country’s Chris Willman gets more into the specifics of what the split means. Something else to think about: Trace [...]
Lady Anteblleum Leads Country Artists In Grammy Nods; Alan Jackson Fulfills Contract; Todd Snider Schedules Live Collection
As far as country artists go, Lady Antebellum came out on top during last night’s announcement of the Grammy nominees, scoring several nominations in all-genre categories. A diverse range of artists and entertainers represented the country genre though, including Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert, Jamey Johnson, Dailey & Vincent, Marty Stuart & Connie Smith, The [...]
Songwriters: Arlis Albritton, George Ducas, Josh Thompson Music City could be described as a cast-iron songwriting-community-pot bubbling over with those who have paid their dues and some. Major label cuts come to few of those songwriters, singles come to fewer, and hits are those rarest of fruits that hang high, frustratingly just out of reach [...]
Toby Keith Sets Record Low for No. 1 Debut; Billboard Touring Awards Finalists; Hank Williams Reinterpreted
Kenny Chesney slipped to No. 2 on the Billboard 200 this week with his album Hemingway’s Whiskey, but for the second week in a row a country album topped the chart in its debut week. This time, it was Toby Keith‘s Bullets in the Gun with 71,000 copies sold. It’s his fourth No. 1 and [...]
Grand Ole Opry Expected to Reopen in Oct.; Alan Jackson Sells Estate; Preview New Songs from Ryan Bingham
The Grand Ole Opry is expected to reopen on October 1 after a $17 million renovation. Alan Jackson‘s 135-acre estate has sold for $28 million almost a year after he put it on the market. The original asking price was $38 million. On June 15, George Strait will re-issue George Strait Live on DVD, which [...]
Gary Nichols to Join The SteelDrivers; CMT Music Awards Nominees; Sugarland, Marty Stuart, Larry Cordle Plan New Albums
The SteelDrivers chose Gary Nichols to take the place of Chris Stapleton. The first night we met Gary he had driven up to Nashville to audition and had been asked to learn four of our songs. He sat down, had a shot of brown, and launched into Blue Side of the Mountain. Around the room, [...]
Songwriters: Josh Thompson, David Lee Murphy & Casey Beathard. Josh Thompson’s latest single, “Way Out Here,” is far from way out anywhere. It treads familiar ground, that walked by many musicians who have attempted to speak for the spirit of small-town America and the traditional, hardworking people who live there–a path Justin Moore tried recently [...]
Sarah Jarosz, Bruce Robison Honored at Austin Music Awards; Shelby Lynne, Julie Roberts Working On New Albums
I’m still playing catch up after last week’s hiatus, so big thanks to Ken for shooting over the majority of the bullets below. The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri reviewed solid sets from Sara Jarosz and The Trishas, a buzzworthy group that he compares to the Dixie Chicks. Jarosz is not undeserving of her own buzz [...]
Ryan Bingham joined the Country Throwdown Tour, which already includes Jamey Johnson, Little Big Town, Eric Church, Jack Ingram, Montgomery Gentry, Eli Young Band, the Lost Trailers, and Heidi Newfield. Jason Aldean and Ashley Monroe celebrated the success of the song “The Truth” at an industry party on Monday. After subjecting himself to Danny Gokey‘s [...]
Rascal Flatts and Tim McGraw both got snubbed by the ACM Awards, but Chet Flippo thinks Jason Aldean is the biggest omission from the last of nominees and in his latest Nashville Skyline column he argues his case. His conclusion: So, take awards shows on their own terms, you know. Or ignore them completely. Just [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...