Songwriters: Arlis Albritton, George Ducas, Josh Thompson Music City could be described as a cast-iron songwriting-community-pot bubbling over with those who have paid their dues and some. Major label cuts come to few of those songwriters, singles come to fewer, and hits are those rarest of fruits that hang high, frustratingly just out of reach [...]
The answering machine turns 75 this year. Though many of us have upgraded to cell phones and voicemail, let’s pay tribute to our old pal. References to answering machines abound in country music (Bruce Robison’s “Every Once in a While” is one of my favorites, but there are several others), and today we’ll be looking [...]
Why does Nashville Star start again? Because it has slightly better ratings than an Oxy Clean infomercial. — Jim What does “we’re having an Indian Summer” mean? It means you’ve just been extradited from a place you’ve been living for hundreds of years. — Pierce What is the meaning of “Wild at Heart” by Gloriana? [...]
Blue collar country music comes natural to Josh Thompson. He makes no apologies for songwriting that reflects a hard day’s work and the celebration of a week’s end that follows. He writes about it because he’s lived it. Following in his father’s footsteps, Thompson began pouring concrete at the tender age of 12 in his [...]
Jason Michael Carroll Leaves Record Label; Dove Awards Nominees Announced; Johnny Bush Celebrates 75 Years
Jason Michael Carroll updated his Twitter account to let fans know that his label gave him the boot: “Unfortunately, Arista & I have decided to go our seperate ways! They called & said that they would be moving forward without me!” DFW.com’s Preston Jones and DC9 at Night’s Noah W. Bailey reviewed a recent Merle [...]
Songwriter Chris DuBois, producer Frank Rogers, and Brad Paisley are launching a new Sony Nashville record label imprint called Sea Gayle Records. The label’s debut artist is Jerrod Niemann (MySpace). (via All About Country) The Country Music Hall of Fame website got a makeover. (via Country Music Tattle Tale) Nashville At Nite attended last week’s [...]
What did Beyonce think after Kenya interrupted the awards? She figured the country’s government must still be bitter that Taylor Swift is only bringing her tour to the West coast of Africa. — Karlie What subgenre is Taylor Swift? Moody electropunk jazzbilly thrash metal with operatic overtones. Or just pop-country. — CMW When will I [...]
Johnny Cash is dead and his house burned down and he’s the #1 artist in The 9513′s Last.fm group. I’m not sure that any of those events are related, despite what Larry Gatlin may say. It’s no huge surprise that the Man in Black has been at or near the top of the charts for [...]
Clint Black couldn’t fill Trace Adkins‘ shoes and was fired on Celebrity Apprentice last night, just shy of earning a spot in the top four. Josh Gracin added a new song to his MySpace titled “Enough,” and in a blog post he mentions that it’s his first project without Lyric Street. (via CountryMusicIsLove) Jason Michael [...]
Why isn’t John Rich singing with Big Kenny anymore? Big & Rich is all about loving everybody. Rich stepped away for a while so that he could hate some people (liberals, Germans, Japanese, former Nashville Star contestants). – CM What are country music fans like? They’re a lot like normal people, just with better taste. [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...