As one-half of the famed rock-pop duo Hall & Oates, John Oates has sold millions of records, toured around the world, won numerous awards and is a member of the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame. Despite all the accolades, however, not many people are aware of his background and the music that inspired him to become [...]
Album Review: Various Artists – The Music Inside: A Collaboration Dedicated to Waylon Jennings, Vol. 1
The third major posthumous multi-artist tribute to Waylon Jennings is certainly the most youthful of the lot. In fact, about half the performers featured here had not yet made any significant mark on mainstream country music by 2003, the year that saw the release of both Dualtone’s singer-songwritery Lonesome, On’ry and Mean and RCA’s more [...]
It’s a shame that “Soldiers and Jesus” dominated the press given to Shake What God Gave Ya, the country-soul album put out by James Otto in the thick of a heavy September release month. That well-intentioned but rather sloppily-executed pro-military single masks most of what makes Otto, at his best, such a compelling and singular [...]
In the press release for his new album, James Otto is quoted as saying that he’s the symbolic “love child of Ronnie Milsap and Barry White.” Barry White’s deep soulful baritone became synonymous with groovy love-making songs in R&B and if there was ever an album that tried hard to be the soundtrack to getting [...]
The fourth Love & War Lifetime Achievement Award — nicknamed the ‘Rusty’ in honor of its first recipient, Texas music legend Rusty Wier — will be given to Billy Joe Shaver on Nov. 17. Actress Gwyneth Paltrow is scheduled to perform “Country Strong,” the title song from her upcoming movie, at next month’s CMA Awards. [...]
Next spring, Atria Books will publish a memoir from Shania Twain. Accompanied by his lead guitarist and bassist, Billy Currington stopped by the American Songwriter office to perform five of his more popular songs: “Must Be Doin’ Somethin’ Right,” “Good Directions,” “People Are Crazy,” “That’s How Country Boys Roll,” and “Pretty Good At Drinkin’ Beer.” [...]
During tonight’s ASCAP Country Music Awards Alan Jackson will be recognized with the organization’s Founder’s Award. In an interview with The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts, Jackson talked about the honor, his oldest daughter leaving for college, and future plans: “He still wants to make a classic bluegrass record, is contemplating another gospel recording and thinks he [...]
Winners at last night’s Americana Honors & Awards show were: Album of the Year: The List – Rosanne Cash Artist of the Year: Ryan Bingham Duo/Group of the Year: The Avett Brothers Instrumentalist of the Year: Buddy Miller New & Emerging Artist: Hayes Carll Song of the Year: “The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)” [...]
NPR/Folk Alley to Stream AMA Awards Live; Why Albums Are Released On Tuesday; 10 Worthy Indie Albums
Folk Alley and NPR Music will webcast the AMA Honors & Award Show live tonight at 7:30 PM EST. Barry Mazor interviewed Jamey Johnson for The Wall Street Journal and calls his double-album The Guitar Song a new country masterpiece: “The traditional country music—or as it’s commonly called in my house, ‘music’—that’s where you learned [...]
Faith Hill Celebrates Post-Katrina Rebuild; Country Music Hall Expected to Double in Size; James Otto Welcomes Daughter
Faith Hill performed a free concert in New Orleans last night to support and celebrate how far the Gulf Coast has come since hurricane Katrina flooded the area. Chevel Johnson has a recap for The Associated Press. Coinciding with the construction of a downtown Nashville Omni Hotel, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...