Lullabies have been sung in many languages and music genres going all the way back to 1072, when they were first mentioned by a Turkish writer. And while most people immediately think of a loving and mellow tune sung to bring comfort and sleep to countless babies, country artists haven’t always been so light-hearted in [...]
Charlie Louvin Autobiography In the Works; Ronnie Dunn’s New Single; Rodney Hayden Introduces Video Series
Charlie Louvin‘s autobiography will be released later this year. Dierks Bentley describes the direction of his next album: “I’m going to use the term kick (butt) to describe it,” Bentley said of his new material. “Everyone is asking me, ‘Is it bluegrass or country?’ I think you’re asking the wrong guy because I thought the [...]
The Peasall Sisters are parting ways. The Recording Academy’s first round of confirmed performers for the Grammy Awards includes Miranda Lambert. For this week’s Nashville Skyline, Chet Flippo reviewed the new Rodney Crowell memoir, Chinaberry Sidewalks. Kelly Dearmore published a brief Q&A with Jack Ingram. Dale Watson on his penchant for drinking songs: “I only [...]
Tim McGraw Nears the End of His Record Contract; Joe Nichols Readies Hits; Taylor Swift at Ed Sullivan Theater
Tim McGraw on his relationship with his label, Curb Records: Pressed on why 20 years was too long, Tim caught himself and pulled a few of his punches while answering. “Look, I think there comes a time when you’ve gotten everything out of each other that you can … When a relationship doesn’t work mutually [...]
Kix Brooks Bucks Trend and Loses the ‘Stache; Alan Jackson Celebrates 34 Number Ones with New Release
Kix Brooks sans ‘stache. The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica on the new Keith Urban record, Get Closer: His lightly scuffed but comely voice, like his adept but unfussy guitar playing, presents a palatable blankness: beyond the odd glint of banjo or dollop of twang, these songs could be the work of someone like, well, [...]
Sugarland Settles Lawsuit with Founder Kristen Hall; Country Shows Expand; Anna Wilson Adds Jazz to Country Standards
Current Sugarland members Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush settled a lawsuit with the group’s founding member, Kristen Hall, who claims she was owed more than $14 million. Details of the settlement weren’t disclosed. NPR’s Meredith Ochs says the new Hank Williams box set The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus! challenges commonly held perceptions: Though it’s well-known [...]
Martina McBride Joins Republic Nashville; Hillary Scott Named SESAC’s Songwriter of the Year; Stream Reba McEntire
Martina McBride left her longtime label Sony Music Nashville to join the Republic Nashville roster. Lady Antebellum‘s hit “Need You Now” won song of the year at last night’s SESAC awards ceremony, and one of the song’s co-writers, Hillary Scott (Lady A’s only member of SESAC), took home songwriter of the year honors. The Tennessean [...]
One Out of Every Five Albums Sold Belong to Taylor Swift; Jason Aldean Leads Releases; Charlie Louvin Benefit DVD Seeks Backers
Taylor Swift‘s Speak Now is a lock to sell more than a million copies in its first week, and HITS Daily Double is reporting that 17-18% of all album sales belonged to Swift, which would be a new record. (via Music Mix) To help offset Charlie Louvin‘s medical bills, the folks at Judd Films have [...]
Garth Brooks Announces Date for Nashville Concert; Billy Ray Cyrus Headed for Divorce; ACL to Close Studio 6A with Lyle Lovett
Garth Brooks announced this morning that he’s hosting a benefit concert for flood victims at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena on Dec. 17. “If you come to Vegas, you’ll see Garth Brooks with a guitar,” he said. “When you come to Nashville this Christmas, you’re gonna see the band that you know, you’ll see the light rig [...]
By default judgement, Taylor Swift won a trademark case last week against 16 of 24 individuals who were selling counterfeit merchandise during her tour. The original case was filed in May of 2009. Nashville Scene’s 2010 Best of Nashville lists are out. The writer’s picks from the music section include Elizabeth Cook, Chely Wright, Jamey [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...