Bats, bears, Neanderthals, fugitives, survivors of nuclear war—everyone loves caves. 5. “Back to the Cave” – Joe Diffie “You want to go back to the cave?…You be Wilma and I’ll be Fred.” What gal could resist that smooth talk, especially if it comes with a side of brontosaurus ribs at the Bedrock Drive-In? 4. “The [...]
On Tuesday, Blake reviewed Sara Evans’ new single “A Little Bit Stronger,” sparking a debate about some of the songwriters responsible for many of country music’s modern hits. The tune is part of the catalogs of in-demand Nashville songwriters Hillary Lindsey and Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott, whose names are closely related with other of-the-moment songwriters [...]
Three years ago, Hank Cochran was chosen as the inaugural guest for the Country Music Hall of Fame’s “Poets and Prophets” series, a program designed to highlight the careers of the genre’s best writers. Leading up to that guest spot, Cochran appeared on WSM with Eddie Stubbs to tell the stories behind some of his [...]
With 19 albums and hundreds of songs to his name, Jim Lauderdale has become one of the leading voices in the country and Americana genres. His collaborations include everyone from Ralph Stanley to Elvis Costello. In fact, it’s probably easier to come up with a list of people that haven’t worked with him than those [...]
On June 8, Sugar Hill will release Twistable, Turnable Man: A Musical Tribute to the Songs of Shel Silverstein with performances by both Bobby Bares, John Prine, Kris Kirstofferson, Sarah Jarosz, Ray Price and more. Do yourself a favor and check out Jamie Wilson. (MySpace) Mark Chesnutt‘s upcoming album consists entirely of outlaw classics like [...]
Gene Watson, Randy Travis, Pam Tillis, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard and Ray Price have all long been cast aside by country radio, but each of these incredible artists continued to produce great country music into the first decade of the 21st century…and each earned a place approaching the upper reaches of our countdown. Mixed in [...]
Despite the endlessly repeated backstory, Rosanne Cash’s new album has little to do with her father and his influence on her tastes and career, at least not beyond suggesting the tracklist. Rather, The List plays like a tribute to the durability of country songwriting and its impact over the decades. Despite the genre’s lowly reputation [...]
Where will you be Tuesday morning? Probably picking up a copy of Mountain Soul II, one of the year’s most anticipated releases. I was the lucky 9513er who got to spend a few minutes this afternoon chatting with Patty Loveless about the album, songwriting, and fishing. JULI THANKI: It’s been eight years since Mountain Soul [...]
Revolution at the Ryman: Miranda Lambert plans to play all the new tracks from her upcoming album, Revolution, in sequence at the Ryman Auditorium just five days before its Sept. 29 release. The second annual ACM Honors, a ceremony honoring the off-camera category winners of the Academy of Country Music Awards, will be hosted by [...]
Billy Lee Riley, a pioneer of Rockabilly who was overshadowed by his contemporaries — Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, etc. — at Sun Records, passed away on Sunday at 75. (MySpace) New releases for the week of August 4, 2009 include: Cooper Boone – Cooper Boone MySpace | Artist Website Gloriana [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...