Leona Atkins, widow of Chet Atkins, passed away on Wednesday at the age of 85. A Truer Sound reviewed James McMurtry‘s concert in Blacksburg, VA last week, where he was glad to play for a dancing crowd following his tour of Europe where the audience was mostly immobile. “They’re good people,” he said of his […]
Universal Music Group Nashville chairman Luke Lewis has been selling records for 35 years and he says Jamey Johnson achieving gold status for That Lonesome Song, which was celebrated at a BMI party on Tuesday, is the proudest moment of his career. When asked what mark he’s trying to leave on country music, Johnson responded: […]
Music City TV is reporting that Little Jimmy Dickens is recovering in a Nashville area hospital following surgery to repair a subdural hematoma. Other than that, there’s not much info, but the family asks for your thoughts and prayers. Melonie Cannon‘s duet with Willie Nelson on “Back to Earth,” a song that was picked as […]
Gene Autry and Brenda Lee will be honored alongside the Blind Boys of Alabama, the Four Tops, Hank Jones, Dean Martin and Tom Paxton with the Recording Academy’s Lifetime Achievement Award at a ceremony on Feb. 7, and will be acknowledged during the Grammy telecast the next evening. (Wikipedia has a list of past winners) […]
Chris Brown, who was recently named Billboard’s top pop artist of the year, mentions that he collaborated on a song with Tim McGraw titled “Human.” “It’s incredible,” he says. “I wanted to do something more along the country line. That’s a bigger and different audience for me.” Watch Hayes Carll perform “I’m Grateful For Christmas […]
George Jones joins Barbra Streisand, Morgan Freeman, Twyla Tharp, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey as the 2008 class of Kennedy Center Honorees–the nation’s highest arts award. “I am completely overwhelmed,” Jones said in a statement. “I can’t believe that I have been included in the same company as previous winners that are country music legends: […]
Jim Lauderdale and Raul Malo are among the artists scheduled to pay tribute to Glen Campbell at the Americana Music Festival in Sept. The tribute is one of several events being coordinated by the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, Nashville Public Television and the Americana Music Association. By the way, don’t forget to […]
Jamey Johnson is joining Willie Nelson, Neil Young, John Mellencamp, Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews for the Farm Aid music festival in New England on Sept. 20. Maybe this will end up being the first step towards a Jamey Johnson and Willie Nelson studio collaboration. Or maybe I’ll just keep on dreaming my dreams. Keeping […]
The first song ever recorded by The Statler Brothers was a tune by the name of “The Ballad of Billy Christian,” written by Tom T. Hall. In that regard, it was only fitting that both were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame at the Ford Theater on Sunday night. Last week Rick drew […]
Time Life plans to periodically release 143 previously-unreleased Hank Williams‘ recordings over a three year period. The recordings were made in 1951 for Williams’ show on radio station WSM-AM in Nashville and were sponsored by Mother’s Best flour. Watch Jason Isbell perform “Dress Blues” live at Stubb’s in Austin, TX, then go read the story […]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …