If you want to start a heated discussion among a bunch of devoted country music fans or music makers, no matter what stripe, style, or era of country music they call their own, bring up the question of today’s mainstream country radio. You’re certain to hear some railing from somebody about a longstanding set of [...]
Some of country’s less-heralded, less-promoted releases of the past year are not only very well worth hearing, they also introduced or re-introduced ideas which this writer, for whatever it’s worth, would like to see more artists and producers take up. Among the strongest 2010 releases was the only marginally noted Amber Digby & Justin Trevino [...]
Photo courtesy of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum I was privileged to be on hand in August for all three of Buddy Miller’s Artist-in-Residence shows at the Country Music Hall of Fame’s Ford Theater, the first of which marked the theater’s reopening after its repair from damage in May’s Nashville flooding. These [...]
Upcoming Music Events Benefit Flood Relief; Gruene Hall Celebrates 35 Years; Ultimate Willie Nelson List
Tickets for Music City Keep on Playin’ – A Benefit for Flood Relief, the first nationally televised telethon for Nashville flood aid, went on sale today. The event includes Kellie Pickler, Will Hoge, Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum, Dierks Bentley, Rodney Atkins and more, and will broadcast live on GAC next Sunday. Tim McGraw and Faith [...]
Americana Music Auction Raises $9,000; Garth Sues Hometown Hospital; Willie Schedules Picnic for Backyard
The Americana Music Association raised more than $9,000 on Monday by auctioning handwritten, autographed lyrics of songs from the likes of Guy Clark, Dolly Parton, and John Hiatt. In between bids, Clark, Hiatt, Cowboy Jack Clement, Elizabeth Cook, Jim Lauderdale, Kix Brooks, Sam Bush, Mary Gauthier and Jeff Black all played and sang songs. The [...]
Dierks Bentley and Darius Rucker opened for Brad Paisley when he rolled through Austin last Thursday, but it was Asleep at the Wheel’s Ray Benson that joined Paisley for a duet on “Miles And Miles of Texas” and Austin guitar legend Redd Volkaert who dueled with him during the encore performance of “Let The Good [...]
Check out 2007′s Top 100 Albums according the Americana Airplay chart. Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, Kelly Willis, Son Volt, and Patty Griffin top the list. Jimmie Dale Gilmore generally prefers to interpret other songwriters’ songs, but is currently working on a CD of new, original songs for release in 2008. He reveals that The Flatlanders [...]
In the New York Times Kelefa Senneh writes “It’s a yearly tradition: Summer ends, the fourth quarter looms (after a dismal first three), and the fragile hopes of record executives head south, to Nashville.” She then lists a few country artists who might be able to break out of the sales slump. The Sara Evans [...]
Remember Chris LeDoux’s band, Western Underground? They’re still touring. At first they were going to do kind of a goodbye/tribute tour, but found out that the fans weren’t ready for them to go anywhere yet. Mark Cowling wrote an article about the band in which the members talk about how they got started with LeDoux [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...