Lady Anteblleum Leads Country Artists In Grammy Nods; Alan Jackson Fulfills Contract; Todd Snider Schedules Live Collection
As far as country artists go, Lady Antebellum came out on top during last night’s announcement of the Grammy nominees, scoring several nominations in all-genre categories. A diverse range of artists and entertainers represented the country genre though, including Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert, Jamey Johnson, Dailey & Vincent, Marty Stuart & Connie Smith, The [...]
Sugarland Settles Lawsuit with Founder Kristen Hall; Country Shows Expand; Anna Wilson Adds Jazz to Country Standards
Current Sugarland members Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush settled a lawsuit with the group’s founding member, Kristen Hall, who claims she was owed more than $14 million. Details of the settlement weren’t disclosed. NPR’s Meredith Ochs says the new Hank Williams box set The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus! challenges commonly held perceptions: Though it’s well-known [...]
At last night’s annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, Dailey & Vincent triumphed — again, maintaining their hold on the entertainer of the year and top vocal group categories for the third year in a row. The duo also notched wins for album of the year for their tribute project Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler [...]
Blake Shelton Invited to Join Opry; ‘Country Strong’ Tracklist Announced; Nashville Venue Plans Austin Location
It only took the Opry 69 characters of the allotted 140 on Twitter to invite Blake Shelton to become a member during last night’s Opry House reopening ceremony. Watch video of the invitation on YouTube » Tom Roland recapped the events of the Grand Ole Opry House reopening. But the night also included performances that [...]
Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for [...]
In the liner notes for his new album, Marty Stuart beautifully describes a moving, virtually spiritual experience during Hurricane Katrina, when a train roared past where he stood, five miles outside of his southern boyhood home. “Every place I’ve ever been, most everything I’d ever done and seen seemed to have been ripped from inside [...]
Nominees for the 21st annual International Bluegrass Music Awards were announced this morning and once again, Dailey & Vincent top the list with 10 nominations. Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out follow with six nods and right on their heels are Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Sam Bush, and The Grascals with five apiece. The full [...]
Photo by James Minchin There aren’t many areas of American roots music that Marty Stuart hasn’t explored since he came to Nashville as a teenaged mandolin player in Lester Flatt’s band. With solid runs as Johnny Cash’s guitarist and a hit-making solo country artist, Stuart has had one of the most eclectic careers of anyone [...]
Recently, country music blog My Kind of Country published an article about some of the genre’s most notable near-misses–songs that stalled at the #2 position on Billboard’s Country Charts. While I suppose it is disappointing for an artist to almost reach the top, the fact remains that any song that reaches the Top 10 is [...]
Upcoming Music Events Benefit Flood Relief; Gruene Hall Celebrates 35 Years; Ultimate Willie Nelson List
Tickets for Music City Keep on Playin’ – A Benefit for Flood Relief, the first nationally televised telethon for Nashville flood aid, went on sale today. The event includes Kellie Pickler, Will Hoge, Brad Paisley, Lady Antebellum, Dierks Bentley, Rodney Atkins and more, and will broadcast live on GAC next Sunday. Tim McGraw and Faith [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...