Kix Brooks Schedules New Tour; Turkey Hunting with James McMurtry; ‘Nashville Scene’ Covers Americana
Brooks & Dunn haven’t yet wrapped up their final tour together (their last gig is tonight), but that hasn’t stopped Kix Brooks from lining up tour dates for next year. It’ll be a different kind of tour though. Instead of performing, Brooks will take his nationally syndicated American Country Countdown to various radio affiliates across [...]
Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for [...]
Who was the female lead in Pure Country? Low blow, mister: That ponytail was a clip-on. — CM Why do young people like the song “Love Story?” The same reason my generation liked the song “Can’t Live Without Your Love and Affection”: young people are dumb. — Sam Why isn’t Miley Cyrus country anymore? Country [...]
For every cover that turns out well–like, say, Del McCoury’s “1952 Vincent Black Lightning,” or Patsy Cline’s “Faded Love”–there’s a cover that isn’t quite so good. Here are a few of them. 10. “God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You” – Alabama featuring ‘N Sync In 1999 Alabama joined forces with Lou [...]
Spring is here, and chances are you’re enjoying the beautiful weather. But if you’re trapped indoors for whatever reason—work, allergies, general reclusiveness—channel surf and see if you can find any country music-themed cartoons. If you’re reading this late at night, you can seek out Squidbillies and its excellent Billy Joe Shaver theme song. Or you [...]
Here’s 20 of country music’s best hotel and motel songs. Apologies for excluding Neal McCoy’s “Hillbilly Rap.” Honorable Mentions: Cadillac Sky – “Motel Morning” David Houston – “No Tell Motel” Eagles – “Hotel California” Gene Watson – “Love in the Hot Afternoon” Guy Clark – “Lone Star Hotel” Jack Ingram & Jerry Jeff Walker – [...]
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on the website 2steppin.com, and has been reprinted here with permission. This comprehensive look at race relations in country music was written prior to the rise of Darius Rucker as a hitmaker. The 9513 would love to hear your comments about race in country music today, and about [...]
Texas country rocker Kevin Fowler trades Bambi for Budweiser, hunting for Heineken and ammo for Amstel on his new single “Beer Season,” a catchy, silly song that is refreshingly fun for the sake of being fun. Unlike current chart-topping “good time” songs that are so calculated and slickly produced (think Craig Morgan’s “Bonfire” or Brooks [...]
The 2009 International Bluegrass Music Hall of Fame inductees are The Lonesome Pine Fiddlers and The Dillards. Tiffany, an ’80s pop star, told The Huntsville Times that she hopes to have a country project together by the end of the year. “I’ve had success after 20 years, and my fans have really been supportive of [...]
Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood To Host CMA Awards A Second Time; Opry Revives Country Classics Series
Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood will return as hosts for the three-hour broadcast of the CMA Awards on Nov. 11. Beginning Sept. 20, the Grand Ole Opry will bring back its Country Classics series for an eight-week run. Quick, what’s the last song you heard? Jack Ingram met his goal of 215 interviews to officially [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...