Jamey Johnson Dominates ‘Nashville Scene’ Critics Poll; ACM Plans Tribute to Women of Country; Todd Snider on Bob Dylan
Jamey Johnson eats critics polls for breakfast. At least that’s the logical conclusion from the just-published critics poll in Nashville Scene, where Johnson received nearly twice as many votes as the runner-up. After looking at the results himself, Geoffrey Himes took the time to write a more reasoned conclusion. Check it out, it’s well worth […]
Audio Engineer Jim Williamson Passed Away; Chuck Wicks and RCA Split; Sierra Hull at The Kennedy Center
Audio engineer Jim Williamson, whose many recording credits include “Coal Miner’s Daughter,” “Stand by Your Man,” and “That’s The Way Love Goes,” passed away Thursday at the age of 75. Mr. Williamson’s composure was evidenced during a three-hour Gene Watson session in which only 10 minutes remained. Watson wanted to attempt one more song, though […]
Perhaps a little angst has been a good thing for smooth pretty boy Chuck Wicks: “Hold That Thought,” the first single after his public breakup with Dancing With The Stars darling (and sometimes country singer) Julianne Hough, is a surprisingly strong offering that manages to sound at once modern, authentic and decidedly country. While Wicks […]
The Opry Lives On; Julianne Hough to Return to ‘Dancing with the Stars’; Stream Hank III’s New Album
The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts recapped last night’s Opry show as did Chris Talbott. Galleywinter is giving away a pair of tickets to Rodney Hayden‘s songwriter festival this weekend and an autographed copy of his new album, Tavern of Poets. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox makes a case for musical comparisons. And then, in his review of […]
Joe Galante’s Departure; Lyric Street Closing; Blake Shelton Lands Record Fish; Rodney Hayden & Friends Lineup
Sony Music Nashville head honcho Joe Galante — the man responsible for launching/guiding the careers of acts like Kenny Chesney, Martina McBride, Chris Young, Carrie Underwood, and many more — announced his plans to leave the company after a nearly 40-year career. Galante is expected to assist his replacement, Gary Overton, transition into his CEO […]
There’s one man, and only one man, in regular rotation on country radio whose gravel voice can approach the soul-stirring gravitas of American Recordings-era Cash. So it’s only fitting that the title track of Gary Allan’s upcoming eighth studio album finds him proclaiming his affection for “the long shots and the left out lost causes […]
“Today,” Gary Allan’s most recent single, has roared up the charts with all the speed of a tree sloth, taking more than eight months to crack Billboard’s Top 20. It’s not exactly a mystery why–with a drippy string section and pedestrian theme, it’s more suited to a lesser light like Jimmy Wayne or Chuck Wicks. […]
Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett earned Oscar nominations for their work on Crazy Heart. The soundtrack is currently available for download at $5.00 with the deluxe edition marked up a few dollars at $7.99. New releases for the week of February 2, 2009 include: Béla Fleck – Throw Down Your […]
What does Alan Jackson like on his eggs? Cheese and corn. — Stephen He still likes bologna. — Ken A load of salsa. — Jim Hens. — CMW What message is Tim McGraw saying in Southern Voice? The message is that while most people think the South is full of uneducated rednecks and hillbillies, there […]
The Country Music Association donated its largest sum ($1,066,632) to Nashville public schools yet through its “Keep the Music Playing” campaign. The Infamous Stringdusters have a new album, Things That Fly, planned for an April release. Danny Balis‘ song “Tethered” came in at No. 24 on DC9 At Night’s list of the best songs in […]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …