By now, there’s not a recording artist, country or otherwise, who hasn’t heard that we’re in a new era — fundamentally, a singles era. They’ve all heard how CD album chart leaders are topping those charts with lower sales figures than anyone can remember. And they’ve all heard horror stories (as have followers of The [...]
This week’s Friday Five is inspired by a re-watching of the Keanu Reeves masterpiece Point Break; however, since there are no country songs about a gang of criminal surfers, we’ll just go with the bank robbing aspect. Here are my five favorite songs about bank robbers both real and fictional. Honorable Mention: Ty Herndon’s single [...]
Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown Band to Co-Headline New Tour; Garth Brooks Info: How to Avoid the “Late Line”
Kenny Chesney and the Zac Brown Band will co-headline nine stadium dates next year. Tickets for Garth Brook‘s Nashville show go on sale Saturday morning, but there’s a list of requirements that need to be followed in order to avoid banishment to the “late line.” GAC has the details. Jewly Hight’s cover story for Nashville [...]
Merle Haggard Named Kennedy Center Honoree; Alan Jackson Celebrates Career with Release of ’34 Number Ones’
Stop the presses: Merle Haggard is one of the five 2010 Kennedy Center honorees for his “lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts.” The annual Honors Gala is scheduled to take place Dec. 5 and later broadcast on CBS on Dec. 28. Joey+Rory‘s Album Number Two can be streamed a week early on [...]
Since my September 2008 article, Charlie McCoy, Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark, Don Williams, Billy Sherrill, Ferlin Husky and Jimmy Dean have been elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame. As I noted, for decades the Country Music Hall of Fame was caught in the position where many deserving performers died before their turn for [...]
Miranda Lambert Sets CMA Awards Record; ‘CMA Music Festival’ Airs Tonight; Joey+Rory To Tour with Don Williams
Even if Miranda Lambert doesn’t win anything at the upcoming CMA Awards (highly unlikely), it’ll still be quite a year. She scored several more nominations today in the following categories: entertainer of the year, female vocalist of the year, album of the year for Revolution, and she has a part in the musical event of [...]
New Releases Abound: Dale Watson, Little Big Town, Marty Stuart, Randy Rogers Band, Ricky Skaggs & More
New releases for the week of August 24, 2010 include: The Carter Family III – Past & Present Amazon | iTunes Dale Watson – Carryin’ On Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Little Big Town – The Reason Why Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Marty Stuart – Ghost Train Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Mason Douglas [...]
Thirty-three years is a long time to be gone and still be called “The King.” But that’s the case for one Elvis Presley. Few icons have left such an indelible mark on the American culture and none have left a greater mark in album sales. During his active recording career, Elvis sold an amazing 57+ [...]
Don Williams to Perform Limited Number of Dates; New Album Releases; CMA Music Fest Attendance Booms
Soon-to-be-Country Music Hall of Famer Don Williams is coming out of retirement for a limited number of concert dates in the fall. Garth Brooks, now out of his own retirement, announced new dates for September, October, and November. New releases for the week of June 15, 2010 include: The Blue Shadows – On The Floor [...]
CMT Music Awards Recaps & Videos; First Day of CMA Fest Cut Short; Willie & Merle Top Americana Chart
CMT Music Awards recaps abound: CMT’s Calvin Gilbert notes that Carrie Underwood went home the big winner. She scored a video of the year trophy buckle for “Cowboy Casanova” and CMT performance of the year for a live version of “Temporary Home,” which was featured on CMT’s concert series Invitation Only. Check the full list [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...