Songwriters: Shawn Camp and Marv Green Nowhere is it written that a great summer song–even a great country summer song–must be about beer and girls and trucks. In fact, from a purely competitive standpoint, one of the smartest things a writer of a fun summer song could do is make it about something else entirely, [...]
Country music is known for its tear-jerkers, a fact not lost on the Vidalia Onion Committee. [Insert your own Sammy Kershaw joke here.] The industry association is set to launch a campaign featuring country artists Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Gary Allan and Ashton Shepherd. The promotion is in conjunction with Universal Music Group Nashville and [...]
If you want to start a heated discussion among a bunch of devoted country music fans or music makers, no matter what stripe, style, or era of country music they call their own, bring up the question of today’s mainstream country radio. You’re certain to hear some railing from somebody about a longstanding set of [...]
Actress Jane Seymour believes her 14-year-old son Johnny is channeling the spirit of his godfather, Johnny Cash. UPDATE (11:38 am): Sugarland’s The Incredible Machine topped the Billboard 200 albums chart this week with 203,000 copies sold. Back in 1981, Johnny Cash and Ray Charles recorded a duet on the Kris Kristofferson song “Why Me Lord,” [...]
Gary Allan to Undergo Vocal Cord Surgery; Inaugural American Country Awards Nominees; Music City Roots Splits with WSM
Gary Allan had to reschedule/cancel a couple of dates scheduled for December to undergo minor surgery to remove a polyp from a vocal cord. Voting for the inaugural American Country Awards — the only country music awards determined soley by fans — opens today. Lady Antebellum and Easton Corbin lead the nominations with seven each. [...]
Songwriters: Mark Nesler, Jennifer Hanson and Marty Dodson With Halloween right around the corner, Billy Currington is probably narrowing down his costume possibilities. While Vegas may not have an official line on the winning choice, it’d be safe to bet he’ll forgo Snooki and Lady Gaga get-ups for either the Wink-Wink Frat Boy (plaid button-down, [...]
Shawn Camp Release to Lead to ‘Lost Tapes’ Series? Yes, Please; CMT Premieres Eight Videos; Bleakest Songs in Country History
Warner Music Nashville president John Esposito has been getting a lot of credit for releasing Shawn Camp‘s sophomore album, 1994, 16 years after it was recorded, but the discovery also got him to thinking about what else might be buried. As it turns out, there could be a lot. AP entertainment writer Chris Talbott notes [...]
Next spring, Atria Books will publish a memoir from Shania Twain. Accompanied by his lead guitarist and bassist, Billy Currington stopped by the American Songwriter office to perform five of his more popular songs: “Must Be Doin’ Somethin’ Right,” “Good Directions,” “People Are Crazy,” “That’s How Country Boys Roll,” and “Pretty Good At Drinkin’ Beer.” [...]
The Nashville Songwriters Association International handed out awards in its Nashville parking lot yesterday. The Tennessean has a brief recap. More awards were handed out yesterday during the Academy of Country Music Honors — the special award recipients and non-televised winners of the ACM Awards. Poet’s Award winners were Cindy Walker and Don Schlitz, Mel [...]
Justin Townes Earle Arrested; Matthew McConaughey to Direct Jamey Johnson Video; Video Tribute to Bob Wills
Justin Townes Earle took a little detour after last week’s show in Indianapolis: (via Saving Country Music) [...] there was a misunderstanding at the venue wherein the proprietor decided to dock the band some of their money, and when Earle went to discuss the matter with him, he didn’t take it too kindly. A fracas [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...