According to myth and folklore, some 170 years ago, a hero was born with a hammer in his hand. John Henry was a mountain of a man who developed a specialty of driving railroad steel. When the railroad owner had the foreman bring a steam-powered hammer to do the work, John Henry challenged the owner [...]
Blake Shelton Has Third Consecutive No. 1; Dwight Yoakam: Better Actor Than Guitarist; 5-Year-Old Sings Caitlin Rose
For the first time in his career, Blake Shelton hit No. 1 three consecutive times. The latest single to top the charts, and Shelton’s eighth overall, is “Who Are You When I’m Not Looking.” Studies show that Nashville is a major force in popular music… Jewly Hight on the track “Chances Are,” from Hayes Carll‘s [...]
Faith Hill to Join the Pretenders for ‘Crossroads’; New Album Releases; Court Yard Hounds Schedule Live Web Chat
On Feb. 5, the night before the Super Bowl, Faith Hill and The Pretenders will team up for a live episode of CMT Crossroads. The success of “Somewhere With You” earned Kenny Chesney his 21st No. 1 single. Preview “Mountain Home,” the title track to Owen Temple‘s next album. Vote: The 2011 LoneStarMusic Awards In [...]
Add Joe Diffie to the list of country stars who have released cookbooks in recent years. Carrie Rodriguez teamed up with Romantica’s Ben Kyle for a collection of six classic country songs and two originals. The project, titled We Still Love Our Country, is scheduled for a Feb. 1 release, but it can be ordered/downloaded [...]
Miranda Lambert & Blake Shelton Win Big at CMA Awards, Brad Paisley Too; Hank Jr. Enters Whiskey Business
The New York Times‘ Jon Caramanica says Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton‘s wins represented a disruption to the Nashville pecking order that was so blatant at last year’s CMAs. Our Country has some backstage reactions from the artists. EW.com’s Ken Tucker says Gwyneth Paltrow performed as well as, if not better, than a few of [...]
Martina McBride Joins Republic Nashville; Hillary Scott Named SESAC’s Songwriter of the Year; Stream Reba McEntire
Martina McBride left her longtime label Sony Music Nashville to join the Republic Nashville roster. Lady Antebellum‘s hit “Need You Now” won song of the year at last night’s SESAC awards ceremony, and one of the song’s co-writers, Hillary Scott (Lady A’s only member of SESAC), took home songwriter of the year honors. The Tennessean [...]
Although they claim common ancestry (Ernest Tubb, Gene Autry and Bill Monroe were all hugely influenced by Jimmie Rodgers), it has been many years since country and bluegrass music split off in different directions. Up until the end of the 1950s you could hear bluegrass played by country radio stations, and artists such as Jimmie [...]
At last night’s annual International Bluegrass Music Awards, Dailey & Vincent triumphed — again, maintaining their hold on the entertainer of the year and top vocal group categories for the third year in a row. The duo also notched wins for album of the year for their tribute project Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler [...]
Blake Shelton Invited to Join Opry; ‘Country Strong’ Tracklist Announced; Nashville Venue Plans Austin Location
It only took the Opry 69 characters of the allotted 140 on Twitter to invite Blake Shelton to become a member during last night’s Opry House reopening ceremony. Watch video of the invitation on YouTube » Tom Roland recapped the events of the Grand Ole Opry House reopening. But the night also included performances that [...]
During tonight’s ASCAP Country Music Awards Alan Jackson will be recognized with the organization’s Founder’s Award. In an interview with The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts, Jackson talked about the honor, his oldest daughter leaving for college, and future plans: “He still wants to make a classic bluegrass record, is contemplating another gospel recording and thinks he [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...