Trailer Choir Downgrades; Carrie Rodriguez Releases Country Duets Project; Amos Lee Tops Album Chart
From trio to duo: Crystal Hoyt is leaving Trailer Choir to pursue other interests. In my haste yesterday, I forgot to mention the release of Carrie Rodriguez‘ country duet record with Ben Kyle, We Still Love Our Country. Stream the songs on her website and if you like what you hear, choose a download price [...]
Some of country’s less-heralded, less-promoted releases of the past year are not only very well worth hearing, they also introduced or re-introduced ideas which this writer, for whatever it’s worth, would like to see more artists and producers take up. Among the strongest 2010 releases was the only marginally noted Amber Digby & Justin Trevino [...]
Merle Haggard Praised at Kennedy Center Honors; Songs From Hank, Willie, & Bob Wills Added to GRAMMY Hall of Fame
Merle Haggard was among the honorees praised during Sunday night’s Kennedy Center Honors gala. The Recording Academy announced inductees for the 2011 GRAMMY Hall of Fame, an institution set up to honor recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance that are at least 25 years old. Songs in the country category include: “Lovesick Blues” by [...]
Randy Travis Divorces; Asleep at the Wheel to Celebrate 40 Years; Broken Bow Records Signs Kristy Lee Cook
Randy Travis and his wife Elizabeth finalized their divorce last Friday. No details were given and the couple asks for privacy, but a statement did say Elizabeth will continue to be Randy’s personal manager. Bill Anderson turned 73-years-young today. Check out this video of Anderson and Roy Acuff performing “I Wonder If God Likes Country [...]
Garth Brooks Announces Date for Nashville Concert; Billy Ray Cyrus Headed for Divorce; ACL to Close Studio 6A with Lyle Lovett
Garth Brooks announced this morning that he’s hosting a benefit concert for flood victims at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena on Dec. 17. “If you come to Vegas, you’ll see Garth Brooks with a guitar,” he said. “When you come to Nashville this Christmas, you’re gonna see the band that you know, you’ll see the light rig [...]
On Tuesday, Blake reviewed Sara Evans’ new single “A Little Bit Stronger,” sparking a debate about some of the songwriters responsible for many of country music’s modern hits. The tune is part of the catalogs of in-demand Nashville songwriters Hillary Lindsey and Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott, whose names are closely related with other of-the-moment songwriters [...]
Teea Goans has been associated with the Grand Ole Opry since 2006, working in a number of capacities both paid and unpaid, where her vocal abilities have come to the attention of country stalwarts like Bill Anderson, Jimmy Dickens and Joe Spivey, the multi-instrumental performer of the celebrated Time Jumpers. Although Goans’ voice seems to [...]
Recently, country music blog My Kind of Country published an article about some of the genre’s most notable near-misses–songs that stalled at the #2 position on Billboard’s Country Charts. While I suppose it is disappointing for an artist to almost reach the top, the fact remains that any song that reaches the Top 10 is [...]
This article will focus on some more artists who either had a very short period of great success or had an extended run of near-success. The McCarters blazed brightly across the sky in 1988 and ’89. Comprised of lead singer Jennifer and her twin sisters Lisa and Teresa, this trio hearkened back to an older [...]
Today only, Esquire is providing a free download of Dierks Bentley‘s “Somewhere In Mississippi,” a song he recorded exclusively for the magazine as part of a songwriting challenge. It’s just a matter of time, according to Tim McGraw, until he and wife Faith Hill record a full-length duet album. Gary Allan knows how to work [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...