Stop the Scripted Encores, Already!
- Mike Osegueda is tired of predictable and lame encores. He’s sick of the fake suspense and thinks the ticket buyers deserve a little unscripted magic. Make it a real encore.
Here’s a tip: If the lights don’t go up when the band leaves the stage, there’s gonna be an encore. Doesn’t matter how loud you squeal or how crazily you wave your cell phone. If it’s on the schedule, it’s happening. That’s the world of big concerts these days. Everything is cookie-cutter. Sure, some people put on authentic shows or give the audience little off-the-cuff glimpses, but for the most part even the banter is scripted.
- Country Universe kicked off the second part of their “The Fifty Best Singles of 2007” series with numbers 40-31–and also announced the gold status, or 500,000 mark, for page views. Keep on truckin’.
- George Strait’s 50 Number Ones has been certified double-platinum for shipments of 3.5 million.
- Blake Shelton had time for some good natured ribbing on the CMT Blog before his Clash of the Choirs TV shows a couple of nights ago and threw in some news for you Miranda buffs.
Earlier today Miranda and I went shopping. She was looking for something green to wear tonight since my choir, Team Shelton, will be dressed in green. She took me to the meat-packing district and lured me into Bloomingdales promising that there would be a Bass Pro Shop. I saw some camo, but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for.
- According to Snoop Dogg, Johnny Cash was a rapper. His s**t was dope and his song “A Boy Named Sue” sounds gangster. Snoop is set to release a new album in March of ’08 and revealed that he’d like to pay respect to Johnny Cash by including one of his songs on the album. Let’s put aside for a minute whether it’s a good idea or not and think about what Cash song you’d most like Snoop to cover.
- Also expected to have a new album out in March of ’08 is Jeff Bates, who recently signed a new record deal with Black River.
- Nielsen SoundScan posted their year-end country song chart and Rodney Atkins didn’t do too shabby. He ended up with the most played song of the year with “Watching You” and the No. 4 song with “These Are My People”.
- Merle Haggard says the arrangement of a song means nothing.
I got out of the bus the other day, and there was a black couple standin’ there and they had a little girl in their arms. And when I stepped out of the bus, the little girl said, “Is that the man that sings ‘Big City’?’ ” She didn’t know my name, didn’t care about my name. All she wanted to know…was that the guy that sang the song she liked. And I think that’s the way the majority of people are. The song is what matters, and the singer is way down the list of priority of being important.
- Chuck Wicks’ “Stealing Cinderella” was the fastest rising single from a debut artist in 2007. His album will be released in lat January.
- Earl Scruggs scored himself a Lifetime Achievement Grammy.
- Gary Allan talks about the evolution of his sound and says that he’s going to see how far he can push the envelope. I’m sure his die-hard fans will follow him wherever he goes, but in the process he’ll alienate others. But hey, good music is good music, right?
- Check out the newest blog from the CMT crew. It’s called CMT Lifestyles and they write about food, travel, fitness, pets, and fashion with a splash of country mixed in to keep it relevant. I’m half tempted to whip me up one of them chess pies.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...