Songwriter Larry Jon Wilson Passed Away; Jimmy Buffet To Host Free Concert; Miranda’s “House” Holds Top Spot
- Songwriter Larry Jon Wilson passed away yesterday afternoon at the age of 69 after suffering a stroke while visiting family. Wilson recorded four LPs in the ’70s before becoming disillusioned with the music business. After 29 years without a release though, he returned last year with an acoustic collection of songs simply titled Larry Jon Wilson. Several mp3s from his early records can be heard on his fan page. Also check out Stephen Deusner’s interview with Wilson here on The 9513 about last year’s release.
New releases for the week of June 22, 2010 include:
- In a show of support for the Gulf region, Jimmy Buffet will host a free concert in Alabama on July 1. Other performers will include Sonny Landreth, Zac Brown Band, Kenny Chesney, Jesse Winchester and Allen Toussaint.
- John Henry Earle made his stage debut on Saturday when Allison Moorer carried him onstage to join Steve Earle for a duet on “City of Immigrants.”
- Taylor Swift was awarded the Hal David Starlight Award, which pays tribute to young songwriters with promise, at the Songwriters Hall of Fame last Thursday.
- LeAnn Rimes and Dean Sheremet finalized their divorce on Saturday.
- Due to a scheduling conflict, Miranda Lambert is replacing Alan Jackson at this week’s Country Jam in Grand Junction, Colorado.
- At his recent fan club party, Randy Owen revealed that he’s been undergoing treatment for prostrate cancer.
- Brooks & Dunn will be missing tonight’s Nashville Rising benefit show “due to illness.”
- The Tennessean has more on tonight’s Tim McGraw and Faith Hill-hosted Nashville Rising benefit concert.
- After four weeks at No. 1, Miranda Lambert‘s “The House That Built Me” has held the top spot on the Media Base/Aircheck chart longer than any other song this year and is tied for the longest run on the BDS/Billboard chart.
- Bruce Channel, Delbert McClinton, Gary Nicholson, and Lee Roy Parnell will be the 2011 inductees into the Texas Heritage Songwriters Association Hall of Fame.
- Ronnie Milsap‘s hit song “Smoky Mountain Rain” won a race to become a new Tennessee state song.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 06/20/10 Edition
- The CMT New Music Video Evaluation team screened ten new videos for last weekend’s CMT Big New Music Weekend. Reba McEntire, Lady Antebellum, Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Gary Allan, LeAnn Rimes, Trace Adkins, Danny Gokey, James Otto, and Jessie James all turned in new videos.
- Trace Adkins talked oil with CNN’s Anderson Cooper.
- The Lefetz writer Bob Lefetz revels in the authenticity and honesty of Jamey Johnson and Jack Ingram.
- Each year, the Musicians Against Childhood Cancer festival takes place just outside of Columbus, Ohio with some of the biggest and best musicians in bluegrass and acoustic music. To help promote this year’s festival, starting on July 21st, a CD consisting of mostly live performances will be released and the title track, “Life Goes On,” is currently available as a free download.
- Justin Byrd‘s new single, “Walking On A Beach,” was released today.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...