Sara Evans Settles Suit; Jack Ingram Bests Taylor Swift; What’s Country?
- Sara Evans‘ former nanny scored more than $500,000 in the settlement for a defamation suit she filed against the country singer in April 2007.
- Kathy Mattea on the divide between traditional and pop influences in country music: (via GAC)
“This tension between a real traditional sound and pop music, it’s nothing new,” said Mattea. “We had Barbara Mandrell, Sylvia, Garth Brooks, Mary Chapin Carpenter… Lionel Richie had a country hit when I was doing my thing.”
Mattea says she admires many young country artists; Jamey Johnson is one. Brad Paisley is another.
“They give me a lot of hope,” she said.
- And furthering that discussion, Chet Flippo tackles the topic of what’s country and what’s not in this week’s Nashville Skyline column.
- Country Universe: What do you think are perfect examples of good artists gone bad?
- CMT has new videos for Miranda Lambert‘s song about deceased vegetation, or “Dead Flowers,” and David Nail‘s “Red Light.”
- In an interview with Steve LaBate, Todd Snider talks about his affinity for Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and pop culture in general, the inspiration behind a couple of songs on his latest CD, and a new book he’s working on titled Almost Everything I Say Is True.
And I’m actually gonna tell the stories, and then I’m going to tell what’s real and what’s not. I got this guy named Dennis Cook, and he writes about The Black Crowes all the time, and him and I are going to get together and pick the 10 longest, most-told stories [of mine], and get them typed out, and then I’m going to give him the phone numbers of all the people I mention. And I’m gonna say, “Now, go hear the real story, and then you can come back and hit me like a lawyer, and write about your experience.” I’m going to tell him where the bodies are buried. [laughs] I’m looking forward to that.
- Random Tweet (@JackIngramMusic): Well- I did my part! I changed t-shirts 5 or 6 times during my set 2day…now that is some serious wardrobe! Beat that Taylor Swift!!!
- My Kind of Country continued its coverage of John Anderson, the Spotlight Artist of the Month, with J.R. Journey’s review of All the People Are Talkin’, an album which found Anderson exploring the rock and roll sound he embraced for the rest of the ’80s.
- Feeling a little nostalgic, Craig Shelburne shared several albums–ranging from Bobby Bare, Slaid Cleaves, David Allan Coe, Rodney Crowell and Fats Domino–that fit his mood.
- Country Universe: If you were able to create your own super group who could make at least one album, who would be the members? What would you name the group?
- Kenny Chesney talks about his core country audience and crossover appeal, pulling a Chris Gaines and producing Willie Nelson in an interview with Gibson. (via CMT Blog)
- Listen, download and enjoy Jerry Jeff Walker‘s acoustic performance of “Lovin’ Makes Livin’ Worthwhile” from Studio 1A.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …