One Out of Every Five Albums Sold Belong to Taylor Swift; Jason Aldean Leads Releases; Charlie Louvin Benefit DVD Seeks Backers
- Taylor Swift‘s Speak Now is a lock to sell more than a million copies in its first week, and HITS Daily Double is reporting that 17-18% of all album sales belonged to Swift, which would be a new record. (via Music Mix)
- To help offset Charlie Louvin‘s medical bills, the folks at Judd Films have donated their time and talents to film Louvin’s show on Dec. 3, the 50th anniversary of the album Satan Is Real. The goal is to have a DVD made with proceeds going to Louvin, but money needs to be raised to pay for production costs. Saving Country Music has details on how you can help.
- Alison Krauss performed a full set of nothing but Louvin Brothers songs this past Saturday as part of another benefit to help raise money for Charlie Louvin. Jimmy Carter reports that over $16,000 was raised.
- Asleep at the Wheel founding band member Lucky Oceans on Ray Benson:
“Ray is one of the best businessmen I know. Who else could keep a band together for 40 years playing such niche music? He dreams and schemes and never thinks anything will fail and goes headlong into anything he does. His connections, people skills and showmanship have kept the band going. The scores of great musicians who have played with the band have helped uphold its reputation, but Ray is at the center of it all. And having a name like ‘Asleep at the Wheel’ has helped. Wonder who thought of that?”
- My Kind of Country’s Occasional Hope recommends the new Aaron Watson record, The Road & The Rodeo.
New releases for the week of November 2, 2010 include:
Don Edwards – American
Madonna Nash – Madonna Nash
Oak Ridge Boys – Icon
The Statler Brothers – Icon
The Statler Brothers – Icon 2
- Taylor Swift is working with Elizabeth Arden to develop a new fragrance, due out sometime late next year.
- Country Music Pride is giving away one of those new, 16-disc Hank Williams box sets: Hank Williams: The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings…Plus!. Just send a picture showing why you deserve it.
- Jimmy Webb on the challenges and rewards of songwriting:
It always feels like the first time to me,” he said. “It’s sort of like warming up for tennis or vocalizing. I have to get that thing going… It then becomes very rewarding for me as I approach the end of it and I keep fitting things in, and it feels good to me. It’s just the best feeling I have ever had. Sometimes it goes off the rails and I can feel that I’m losing it. I’m like a kid with my skateboard skidding out in front of me, and there’s nothing much I can do about it.”
- Ryan Bingham stopped by WFUV to preform songs from his new album, Junky Star.
- Michael McCall on the new Jason Aldean album:
The focus, however, is on reflecting and celebrating life in dirt-road America. More than ever, Aldean succeeds at bringing alive a demographic rarely seen or heard in the media — and he does so with a fresh sound that steers clear of lyrical cliches.
- UK music magazine The Word posted a podcast with Darrell Scott.
Here’s Jack Ingram covering Billy Joe Shaver‘s “Old Chunk of Coal” for his weekly Acoustic Motel series.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …