John Rich and Wife Expecting; Brad Paisley and CW Network Team Up; All-Time Favorites
- John Rich and his wife are expecting their first baby.
- Brad Paisley signed on to create and co-produce a new drama on the CW Network about “an aspiring young female singer destined for stardom and a male songwriter whose career isn’t as certain.”
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caligiuri reviewed recent albums from Guy Clark and Robert Earl Keen, with the latter turning in the stronger record.
- Watch the exclusive video premiere of Ryan Bingham‘s “Country Roads.”
- The 9513′s very own Jim Malec was dubbed best local country music blogger by the Nashville Scene!
At the country music website The9513.com, Malec writes so well you don’t know whether to be delighted just to read him or jealous that you don’t have that kind of talent. He’s rough on country music in the way that only a person who loves and thinks deeply about an art form can be.
That’s super awesome. Congrats Jim.
- Paste magazine’s Andy Whitman listed his favorite country music of the aughts along with what he considers its most disappointing artist.
- For the second episode of Mitch Albom LIVE, the affable host gets around to introducing his show and conducting a video interview with Rosanne Cash on the subject of her new album, The List.
- Watch Oh Susanna perform “Filled With Gold.”
- Country Universe noted that The Rodney Crowell Collection is on sale for the incredibly affordable price of $5.49.
- New York hedge-fund manager Raj Rajaratnam, who was recently arrested on insider-trading charges, paid Kenny Rogers $4 million to perform “The Gambler” over and over at his birthday party.
- With the exception of a couple of songs, PopMatters’ Steve Leftridge found Lyle Lovett‘s new release, Natural Forces, disappointing. However, The Dallas Morning News‘ Mario Tarradell found plenty to love.
- Austin Music Source’s Michael Corcoran on the recent Loudon Wainwright III release, High Wide and Handsome – the Charlie Poole Project:
This project works because Wainwright and Poole are kindred spirits, right down to the directness of their voices and their smart aleck attitudes. The guy who wrote “Dead Skunk” was originally attracted to Poole’s sense of humor, but as he got deeper into the body of work he could better feel the swing of a life lived in a hard world.
- Jason Isbell On Mountain Stage
- Smith Music released a nine-song compilation last month titled Discover Texas Music: Volume 1 which you can snag for free on Amazon.
- If you missed it in yesterday’s comments, the new Randy Kohrs album, Quicksand, has been rescheduled for a Jan. 12th release due to Kohrs’ busy schedule.
- The Boot premiered the video for “Jolene” from the forthcoming DVD Dolly: Live From London.
- Rosanne Cash and Corb Lund earned four stars apiece in Chris Neal’s latest batch of album reviews, which also includes reviews of recent Miranda Lambert and Patty Loveless releases, for Country Weekly.
- In an interview with USA Today’s Edna Gundersen, John Fogerty reveals that his wife, Julie, was the catalyst behind his recent Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again project.
“I was knee-deep in post-production,” Fogerty says. “Out of the blue, she said, ‘It would be cool if you redid the Blue Ridge idea.’ I was happily surprised. It’s like a wife telling her husband, ‘Why don’t you go fishing?’
“Julie’s very wise. I tend to go off on my rather introspective musical agenda. She has real ideas. When you’re living with a genius, be quiet and go along for the ride.”
Julie proposed several Ranger cuts, startling Fogerty with suggested duet partners. He was intrigued by her advice to cover Rick Nelson’s Garden Party but hesitated when she added, “I’d like you to record it with the Eagles.”
- Whitney Duncan‘s list of all-time favorite country albums is comprised mostly of hits packages — not necessarily a bad thing when you choose hits by artists like Don Williams and Tanya Tucker. What are a couple of your all-time favorites?
- Alt-512 Music Musings salvaged several live recordings from an Oct. 3 performance at Threadgill’s by The Gourds.
Also via Alt-512 Music Musings is the following video of Charlie Robison performing “Rain” this past Sunday.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...