Dailey & Vincent Win Big at SPBGMA Awards; New Album Releases; Chris Young Sends Third Song to the Top
- Dailey & Vincent were the big winners during Sunday’s SPBGMA Awards, pulling in a combined total of seven trophies in categories like entertaining group and album of the year, but other winners included Rhonda Vincent, who won a couple of categories herself, Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice for song of the year, and Tom T. and Dixie Hall in the songwriter category. CMT’s Edward Morris has the recap.
New releases for the week of February 8, 2011 include:
- What’d you think about the Super Bowl commercial featuring Faith Hill?
- Dierks Bentley on his writing style:
There are some guys in town that are really smart and have it all figured out. They find two or three people and they write songs with them and they save a lot of time just writing with the same people over and over again. My style of writing is more like a shotgun blast. I write with all sorts of people, maybe they’ve had hits, maybe they’ve not.
- Farce the Music fights the good fight.
- Country California Fake News:
Although country singer John Rich was previously announced as a competitor on the upcoming fourth season of Donald Trump’s hit reality show Celebrity Apprentice, NBC has been forced to withdraw Rich’s invitation in order to avoid running afoul of FCC ego restrictions, according to an official statement.
- Garden & Gun posted video of Sam Bush performing Darrell Scott‘s “River Take Me” before segueing into a five-minute-plus jam.
- Grammy-nominated mastering engineer Andrew Mendelson talked to The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper about what his job involves:
Sometimes, I’ll give the artist two versions of the album: One louder and one quieter. Louder isn’t always worse, but it isn’t always better.
- Rita Ballou rants about camaraderie in the Texas Music Scene.
- Rodney Crowell book reviews: The New York Times | The Seattle Times
- Paste’s Steve LaBate on the new Todd Snider record: “I’ve never laughed so many times listening to a record [...]. And I’m not talkin’ about a little chuckle. I laughed, loudly and involuntarily.”
- With “Voices,” Chris Young earned the third consecutive No. 1 from his sophomore album, The Man I Want To Be, and became only the second artist in the modern era of the Billboard country chart to go to the top with a re-release after having only reached moderate success with the single the first time around. Who was the other guy to do it? Randy Travis with “On The Other Hand.”
- The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts has reactions from Grammy hopefuls Annie Tate, David Nail, Chris Young, Kimberley Perry and Jamie Dailey.
- My Kind of Country predicts the country categories of the Grammys.
- Gretchen Wilson:
• I was singing Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn songs in their entirety before I was speaking intelligible sentences.
• I think the biggest lesson I’ve learned is I’m not going to look at country radio as a make-me-or-break-me kind of deal anymore. I know that I can reach my fans in other ways if that’s what I have to do.
- Stream the new Waylon Jennings tribute album on the WKHX website. Two more volumes will be released later this year.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …