Courtyard Houds at SXSW; Kellie Pickler Plans to Shutter Fan Club; Free Thirty Tigers Sampler
- Texas Music Matters posted a recording of Courtyard Hounds performing the song “Then Again” during one of its SXSW gigs.
- Speaking of Courtyard Hounds, Jim Caligiuri caught the sisters’ set at Antone’s during SXSW and concluded, “while the musicianship was superb, the subject matter seemed in dire need of kick that never appeared.”
- Texas Music Matters also posted a three-song set from Colin Gilmore. Good stuff.
- Barry Mazor interviewed Texas fiddle luminary Johnny Gimble for his latest piece in The Wall Street Journal.
For the past decade, however, there have been some physical restraints on Mr. Gimble’s playing. As he explained, “I had a stroke in December of ’99, and it affected my left side—my fingering side. I played a gig with old Floyd Domino on the piano, and he said, ‘Johnny, play “Fiddlin’ Around,” a song of mine that has a difficult fingering. And I had to say, ‘But I can’t reach the S.O.B. now.’ A fiddler in Dallas heard that I’d said that and said, ‘Now you know how the rest of us feel!’”
- Charlie Daniels on Taylor Swift:
“I have great admiration for Taylor Swift. I hold her in very high regard for a number of reasons. First she writes her own stuff, she writes about what she knows.”
- The music from the Charlie Daniels GEICO commericial is available as a free ringtone.
- Music photographer Jim Marshall (that guy who photographed Johnny Cash‘s finger) passed away at the age of 74.
- American Songwriter‘s Michael Kosser on the evolving business of songwriting:
I do believe that, sooner or later, learning to do music business on the Web will be as important as hanging out on Music Square West is today.
- Brooks & Dunn are letting fans vote on a list of six past hits to determine which song will be the duo’s last ACM Awards performance.
- Kellie Pickler announced plans to shut down her fan club and allow everyone to access currently exclusive features.
- Country California Fake News: Jessica Simpson Preps Bluegrass Debut
Although she’s working on her high loathsome tenor, Simpson cautions that fans shouldn’t expect her Rounder debut to be bluegrass in the strictest sense. “We’re not talking Jimmy Monroe and Bill Martin here, but more like the Notorious Steeldusters meets, uh, Jessica Simpson. Sort of a newgrassy type thing, with drum loops over the, uh… banjo is the plucky circle one, right? People will really like it if they give it a chance.”
- Tiger Woods and LeAnn Rimes used to date.
- Can the CD be saved, and more importantly, should it be? Chet Flippo addresses the issue in his latest Nashville Skyline column.
- John Rich loaned his house to Gretchen Wilson last night to celebrate the release of I Got Your Country Right Here on her own label, Redneck Records. More importantly than that though, GAC’s Tom Roland lets us know that Rich has a bar in his elevator.
- What do you think about singers sitting in on songwriting sessions and taking credit with only minimal participation? My Kind of Country wants to know.
- Thirty Tigers partnered with Rhapsody to give away a free 20-song sampler that includes songs from Chuck Mead, Elizabeth Cook, James McMurtry and more.
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...