Saturday in Atlanta was a balmy 97 degrees, with about 100 percent humidity. Inside of Eddie’s Attic, however, it was at least a degree or two cooler, providing a minuscule amount of relief to the musicians who stepped under the stage lights that night. Miraculously, nobody passed out from the heat, though brows were mopped [...]
God bless Sunny Sweeney. I like Miranda Lambert as much as anyone, but it’s pretty pitiful that hers is the first and last name mentioned when people start talking about mainstream females with strong personalities, the writing and singing talents to back them up, and an actual historical grounding in something those outside the Disney [...]
As the torch bearer of Western swing for multiple generations now, I’m sure Ray Benson had numerous motivations for creating a musical about Bob Wills. As artists get older, it’s only natural for them to want to open up new mediums of expression. A Ride With Bob allows Benson to do that very thing while [...]
With his last album of original material five years past, Dwight Yoakam came to the new outdoor amphitheater at Northern California’s Thunder Valley Casino with nothing but good country music to promote. Whether owing to the newness of the venue–Lionel Richie had broken ground there just two days prior–or the plethora of entertainment options on [...]
By the time Billy Joe Shaver arrived at the Palms Playhouse last Wednesday night, he’d already had what must have seemed like a very long day. Just that morning, he’d been in a Texas courtroom pleading no contest to misdemeanor gun charges in connection with the now infamous “Where do you want it?” incident. That’s [...]
I’m not the type of person who travels 2700 miles for a concert. The best part about living in DC is that nearly all genres of music can be found just a short walk or Metro ride away. But on Monday, I found myself flying cross-country to Sacramento for the third annual Golf & Guitars [...]
Country music was alive and well at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville last night as Hank Williams Jr. rolled into town with his Rowdy “Friendz”—Jamey Johnson, Eric Church, and The Grascals. Bocephus—who’s 58 now—does only about 20 shows per year and isn’t shy about the fact that he plays where he wants and with whom [...]
Country music has long been about establishing (and often fabricating) authenticity. Regardless of a singer’s actual background, upbringing, and lifestyle, there’s always been a sense of having to prove one’s country cred. As of late, this trend has led to a slew of backwoods-boasting singles that feature tired stereotypes and worn-out characters. That being said, [...]
Turn on the radio at any time in the past half-decade and chances are that a song written by Kelley Lovelace, Rivers Rutherford, or Dave Berg will be on. Those three writers have more hits to their credit than some baseball players. Last night at the Hard Rock Café, each songwriter showcased their individual talents—which [...]
When the Tin Pan South schedule rolled out earlier this month, a few people had to have been scratching their heads over the round including Trace Adkins, Jeff Bates, Kenny Beard, and Sherrie Austin at 3rd and Lindsley. For one, you have a consistent hit-maker but non existent hit-writer in Adkins. Then, you have two [...]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD ...
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which ...
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there ...
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was ...
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever ...
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the ...
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to ...