As one-half of the famed rock-pop duo Hall & Oates, John Oates has sold millions of records, toured around the world, won numerous awards and is a member of the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame. Despite all the accolades, however, not many people are aware of his background and the music that inspired him to become […]
Back when James Wesley worked in construction, he made a tradition of etching his name in wet concrete — leaving a permanent, personal touch at whatever site he was working. So, it was only right for him to carry out the practice while working on the Schermerhorn Symphony Center in downtown Nashville. The name “James […]
The word prodigy isn’t handed out with regularity. That’s especially the case when you are a teenage musician, but Sierra Hull isn’t your ordinary teenager. As a mandolin player — following in the steps of her idols and legends like Adam Steffey, Chris Thile and Ricky Skaggs — Hull is blazing a trail of her […]
Singers shiver at the thought of stepping on stage in front of him–music executive and television producer Simon Cowell, known in the U.S. for his non-sugar coated commentary for nine seasons on the Fox reality series American Idol, is probably one of the most feared men when it comes to judging talent contests. Love him […]
Steel Magnolia took a decidedly modern media approach to breaking into the country music business. A victory on the second season of CMT’s Can You Duet–a reality show that also helped launch the career of Joey + Rory–helped land them a record deal and launch their first single onto country radio. But it is the […]
Hayes Carll is a Texan by birth as well as by occupation. The Houston native plays hardscrabble country songs shot through with wry humor and quiet sadness, evoking such Lone Star forebears as Townes Van Zandt, Ray Wylie Hubbard, and Vince Bell. He paid his dues playing small bars in south Texas, hanging out with […]
For Sunny Sweeney, being a country music artist comes with some baggage… the good kind. Sweeney clearly believes that she holds a responsibility to the sound and music that inspired her as a child. Names such as Haggard, Lynn, and Parton are names she owes her own brief legacy to and wherever that career may […]
With his fourth album, Mission Bell, folk-pop singer-songwriter Amos Lee has been propelled into the national consciousness. The album, defined by his raspy, soulful voice, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 earlier this month. It was an impressive feat for an artist who until this year hadn’t shed the journeyman tag despite his […]
Editor’s Note: The following transcript contains explicit language. “There’s a fuckload of squirrels out there!” exclaims a surprised Todd Snider out of nowhere. He’s speaking to The 9513 from his home in East Nashville, which is apparently under siege “They’re having a meeting. Holy shit, here they come! Get help!” This is the sort of […]
On her first radio tour in two years, momentum has been interrupted by the monster winter storm that hit most of the lower 48 states. Country artist Star De Azlan got turned around in Philly, barely catching a flight, and came back home to Texas to wait it out–only to be affected once again by […]
- Jack Hanford: For those who are interested, there is a new 90-minute documentary video about Tompall & the Glaser Brothers on DVD …
- joe morris: how come nobody mentions his fan club which started 1950 and was called the " the penny pushers " which …
- jane: I'm reading this article in 2013 and I've yet to hear anything from the album played on the radio.....
- Catwandy: I guess Matt C. is eating his well-deserved crow 'bout now. Critics....gotta love 'em , bless their little hearts.
- Ed McClendon: Saw the brothers in Greeley CO on the occasion of Tompall's 50th birthday. The show wasn't well promoted and there …
- Roby Fox: I'm sure no one else will know, or even care about this little tidbit of trivia. "Keep Your Change" was …
- kate wonders: Roni Stoneman is still on Hee Haw every Sunday night on RFD channel.
- Marsha Blades: Tommy, You were so kind to me during a tough time in my life and I don't think I ever …
- Leona Jones: I seen Chris at the Grand Ole Opry last week.. First time I have heard of him.. He rocked the …
- Sonicjar Music: Agree with Lucas, But one thing is certain, for a song to come to existence, so many things have to …